CHAPTER 5

Teardrop's POV.

...Woody.

"Wah wuh?" As usual, I couldn't understand Woody quite so well. I think he was offering to help me up, considering he was holding his hand out to me. I took it, with my only hand, and I had stood myself up thanks to his help.

Something felt off, though. Considering I had bumped into him while running for my life, wouldn't he have screamed and ran away? It wasnt like Woody to be... well.. not scared. Of course, he has his moments of bravery, but those are moments, not large periods of time.

Not only that, but Woody wasnt the type to linger in this forest. Were the others really that deadset on finding me?? How long was I really gone for?

I was losing myself in my thoughts until Woody interrupted me with a tug on my arm that was... not really an arm anymore. I winced in pain at the tug, no sound, of course.

"Wuh?" He pointed at my 'arm'. I tried to mimic a movement as if someone was ripping it off, but I didnt have a good way to explain who. I gathered enough information from his expression to say that he understood.

He tugged on my arm that actually functioned like one, and pointed to his left. There was some kind of pathway. Perhaps he wanted to take me somewhere? I decided to comply with what he wanted and head down the path, following Woody's stumbling lead. Anywhere would be better than under Book's rule.

The forest was quiet. It was nice to not hear Book's malevolent laughing or the crackling of flames. It was... calm. Too calm. I felt as if someone or something was watching my every move. There weren't any footsteps I could hear, apart from my own and Woody's, but there were slight sounds of gushing wind. As if someone was constantly zipping and zooming behind me. Eventually, I shook off this feeling with a shrug and a mouthed sigh.

Every step I took made the forest darker and darker. The zips of wind from behind me were slowly getting silenced by the deafening wind deeper in the forest. After the heavily breezy part of the forest, everything returned to silence. Woody had stopped walking, the sharp zooms of wind behind me must have been caught up in the larger winds. The silence suddenly broke with a sound from Woody.

"Muhr... dhur..." I couldnt quite make out what he was saying. 'Marker'? No, it couldnt be about him. 'Murkier'? What could even be getting murkier? 'Murmur'? I didnt hear any voices back then. Wait...

"M-Mur.. der..!" Murder?! Why was he mentioning murder?! I quickly scrambled back, as a failed attempt of escape. He only turned to face me. He didnt really have a definitive expression on his face. He looked as if he wanted to hurt me but he was also trying to hold himself back. I was panicking, my breathing was heavy and I looking around for something to defend myself.

I saw a sillhouette of him standing above me for a brief second, then... I passed out. Most likely from stress.