Whilst Minghao lets his body relax in the warm, scented bath, his free train of thought somehow leads him back to Junhui - who left not even two hours ago.

He readjusts his face mask and sinks farther into the azure blue tinted water, until it covers his collarbones and tickles his ears. When the water eventually clouds his senses, it's the soft, low tones of the boy's voice that come to him. He can hear them in his subconsciousness, like an angel sitting on his shoulder steering him away from danger.

Why am I still thinking about him?

Minghao pulls his head completely out of the water and forcefully clears his mind, instead distracting himself with plans for the four little animals downstairs - who as much as he adores, he won't be able to keep forever. It's a dilemma he faces with every animal he helps, and one that never gets easier to face. Thankfully by now, he knows of the actually kind and friendly shelters that keep their word in taking care of the animals, so when the time comes, Minghao knows they'll be in good hands.

A chime pings from his phone, bouncing off the bathroom walls and ringing in Minghao's ears. When he looks at the sender, his gaze hardens. It's a text from a person he hasn't contacted in a while - and whom he hoped he'd never actually have to talk to again.

But alas, here's his cousin - who was raised as Minghao's brother after his aunt and uncle passed away - texting him for the first time in four years.

Annoying shit
sup
haven't seen you in a while

He has to steel himself for what will probably be a conversation that flips his mood with the flick of a switch. Taking a deep breath, Minghao swipes on the notification and starts to reply.

Hao
why are you texting me Xiaojun
and gee i wonder why
maybe it's because i don't like you guys

Annoying shit
You're not exactly my idol in life either
but because of you, i'm the favourite kid

Hao
kind of messed up seeing as you're not even their child
mum and dad can love a kid who isn't theirs but they can't love their son for being gay.
Damn

Annoying shit
So what happens to all that money they send you?

Hao
it's useless bribery

Apparently, Minghao's parents seem to think that if they give their disgraceful son enough money each month, he'll 'right his ways' and return to them, fully apologetic and suddenly a carbon copy of their ideal child - straight from a mould just like Xiaojun is. Then, they'd force him to pursue a career he has no interest in, where he'll probably have to work to pay that money back.

But Minghao guessed that a long time ago, and now happily takes the money with no intention of obeying his parents.

Hao
Now if you don't mind, I'm going to leave
because yet again, I Don't Want To Talk To You

Annoying shit
How long for?

Hao
My whole life, if I can help it

Minghao draws out a long groan. He lets his phone drop onto the surface beside him, but it slips and plunges into the water. Brilliant. Thankfully, his phone is water-proof, otherwise his mood would plunge into the depths of Tartarus and probably never resurface again. Instead, a sigh just escapes his lips.