3. Who are you

A year later (a few weeks before IWTYA)

Gabe invited me to hang out with his friends to play dungeons and dragons. He talks a lot about his friends so I kinda know about them.

Oli is sleeping on the couch when I walk into my living room. He randomly comes in the middle of the night and sleeps on my couch. It happens a few times a week and most of the time he's on some kind of drug.

You think after a year I'd know a lot about him but I don't. I almost know nothing about him. I don't know where he lives, how he makes money, what his last name is, if he has family or friends.  He's like a stray dog that only comes here to eat. (To fuck or sleep).

I walk around and turn on the kitchen light instead of one that will wake him up. As I'm making coffee he comes in looking sleepy. "Good morning," I say and he hugs himself as he leans against  the refrigerator. He looks in pain, probably from a hangover.

He whines and goes past me and goes to open the cabinet but stops and holds his ribs. "Are you hurt?" I ask feeling worried.

"Get me the painkillers," he says ignoring my question. I get them for him and give him water too. He takes them and sighs. 

"Stop looking at me like that, I'm fine," he says and shakes five pills into his palm.

"That's too much," I mumble but he puts them into his mouth and drinks water. You should only take one or two. Possibly three but not five. He knows that but he also knows it won't kill him. Instantly at least.

"I'm going out tonight," I tell him. He ignores me and walks out the room. He's not a morning person, not in the slightest. We are night people. 

He comes back it quietly, he looks a bit guilty.  "If anyone comes by, anyone, I'm not here. You don't even know me or have seen me," he says strictly. See, these are the things that still puzzle me. He's so secretive.

"Okay?" I say wondering who he thinks will ask for him.  Just as I say this theres a knock on the door and Oli looks panicked.

"I'm not here!" He whispers frantically at me before running out if the kitchen. I leave the kitchen walking to the door and glance around to see my house empty.  Drug dealers maybe?

I open the door to see a police officer.

Oh fuck, what did he do?

"Hi are you the owner of this house?" He asks looking past me.

"Yeah, is there a problem?" I ask nervously.

"No sir, I was just wondering if a guy who went by the name of Austin Smith lived here or maybe stays here? He's got a arrest warrant over his name for kidnapping," he says getting out a picture and giving it to me.

My heart stops at I see Oli's mugshot. "He was arrested for drug use a few years back and known to be dangerous.  If you have any information on this man please contact the police," he says.

"Oh? I've never seen him before. Is there any reason your here? You dont think he's around here do you?" I say acting like I'm nervous that a kidnapping might be lurking around this neighborhood.

"Theres a guy who report seeing him walking around this neighborhood last night so I'm just going around asking everyone. Keep your eyes open for him alright? Stay safe," he says and I nod watching him leave.

Oh my God.

I close the door feeling overwhelmed. Is Oli dangerous? Is that even his name? I love Oli, he can't be a kidnapper. Yeah he's mysterious and not the best person but he wouldn't kidnap someone. 

"Josh?" He asks coming out of my room.  I shake my head no and sit at the table with my face in my hands.

I don't know who he is.

He sits at the table with me and rubs my back softly.  "Thank you for that," he whispers.  I look at him with a glare.

"What was that? Why did I just lie to a police?" I snap at him. His eyes look away from mine and he looks like a dog who just got yelled at.

"I uh... They think I kidnapped a girl but I didn't... She just disappeared but I was apparently the last one she talked to. She was very upset, I think she killed herself," he whispers. This is the first time he's actually answering my questions.

He doesn't like look he's lying. It seems like the truth but shouldn't he go to court and explain everything? If he's innocent then he should win the case. "So if you didn't do it why dont you get a lawyer and-" he stops me by dropping his hand and chuckling sadly.

"Josh, look at me. I'm a junkie. I have no alibi for the date and a lot of people want to see me behind bars. I have no money for a lawyer and won't pass any drug tests. I can't defend myself, " he says and even though he's talking like he's amused by it I see the pain in his eyes. "If they don't get me for kidnapping they will for drugs. I've already been arrested for drugs so they will lock me up and throw away the key," he says and his eyes start to glisten but he clears his throat and looks away.

I've never seen him so vulnerable. "Okay... so, what does this mean? Am I hiding a fugitive?" I ask confused and wanting to know.

"Not technically, They don't have my name. My name is clear it's just my face. They dont have a full case so it's not out to the public except the people that officer is showing my picture too," he says.

"What's your name?" I ask and he sighs.

"Josh, my name is Oli. You know that " he says.

"Oli what?" I ask.

He places his hand on his ribs. "I'm just Oli," he says standing up. I've asked him his name lots of times in the past but he's never told me it. He looks out the window and huffs. "I'm staying here until it's safe, " he announces.  Oli doesn't really care if I tell him he can. He acts like this is his house.

I don't mind, I like his company.

Hehehe, what do you think about Oli?

Maybe soon you'll get his pov

Words: 1111

Friday, September 25, 2020