Chapter 3

I laid facing the ceiling, making out small marks and dents from the little light that came through the window below my feet. I looked over at a small clock, the first one I'd seen working for a while. It read in bold red letters: 1.52. I tossed over and suddenly thought about the mysterious man in the basement. Before I knew it I was heading out the door with my brown leather jacket covering my shoulders. I slid my tattered shoes on and crept down the stairs to the door, I sneakily opened it and looked out at the peaceful street, no noise. I clicked the door shut and glided down to the steel gate at the bottom of the mysterious stairwell. The metal felt freezing against my hands as I shakily pushed it ajar and snuck through, I followed the steps down into a small room I was met with a concrete wall to my left... Then to my right a large wall of iron bars.

I held my breath as I listened to a few deep exhales from inside the cage, 'hello?' I heard the creak of a bed and then the grufty voice replied, 'now what are you doin down here? Thought big dick Daryl said you couldn't come here kid' my eyes adjusted to the dimly lit room and just made out a small camp bed pushed away into the corner of the prison and a dark figure sat upon it. 'Daryl don't own me' he chuckled and sighed as he stood up with a groan, 'Judith said you seem nice' I heard light footsteps approach the bars and sit down again with a humph, he slouched against the wall and quietly hummed to himself, 'you're Negan?'

'in the flesh' he said it mockingly before parting his lips again, 'Judith tell you that?' I sighed and replied slowly, 'no, Daryl mentioned you when he was asking Judith to bring you food'

'that was a mighty fine sandwich' he said quietly, 'and who might you be kid?' I hesitated before telling him my identity, 'its alright I ain't got nobody to tell' he reassuringly said, 'I'm Maddie, nice to meet you' I replied as he shuffled on the spot and sat back with another uncomfortable groan, 'well nice to meet you too darlin'

I slid down the wall and found myself sitting on an old rug staring into the cage where the dark figure sat, 'why you down here?' he sighed before replying, 'I did alot of bad things kid' as he finished his sentence I connected the dots, 'you. You were the one who killed Glenn?' I questioned. He rubbed his head and looked at me, 'you ain't stupid are ya?' I itched my neck as I prepared my next words, 'what about Carl?' he seemed to jolt At the thought, 'I'd never hurt that kid, he was a badass radical looking guy. Missing one eye and shooting my men. He was a good kid' he settled down again and apologised, 'my apologies, I'm just fed up of all the folks around here looking at me like shit. I been here for 2 years, and they still don't wanna believe I changed...'