Chapter 9

'Michonne' I jumped up and followed her as she sped down the road. 'he can help' I claimed, 'you have no idea what he can do!' she shouted. I continued chasing after her, 'Michonne! Stop!' I grabbed her shoulder before she turned a full 180° and connected with my face. I felt my cheek burn and sting as I fell to the floor clutching it. I looked up to see her eyes full of regret, 'I'm sorry. But he can't help us' she sighed.

I held my jaw and climbed up from the ground, I walked down to the basement and landed in a heap on the bench. We both sat quietly, 'thank you kid. Didn't have to take a slap as hard as Michonnes for me though' he mumbled. I rubbed my hands nervously, 'I've had worse' I replied, 'were you outside the window the whole time?' he questioned. I nodded slowly, 'heard everything' I muttered, 'oh shit kid. I-I didnt mean that part, that was for.. Dramatic effect' he shrugged, 'Judith heard it too, Michonnes gone to go find her' I rubbed my face soothingly, 'hurt?' he asked, 'like a bitch' I hissed.

'you know. I haven't trusted anybody for a long.. Long time' the words hung in the air as he thought of how to reply, 'I know darlin. I'm privileged I really am, but there's countless other people here that are better for you' he suggested. I scratched my head and sat back while looking at him intensely, 'ain't none of them you though are they' I stated. He let out a deep sigh before smiling, 'its nice to have you kid' he assured.

'im going out soon. Ain't sure where, you want anything?' I asked. 'some freedom if you got any' he called as I left up the stairs. I made a B-line to where Michonne stood, I saw her eyes roll as I trudged over.

'I ain't here to piss you off. Is there anything I can help with? Any searches or scavenge hunts?' I wondered.

She turned to me and looked me up and down. 'take one of the horses and get to hilltop, I heard Daryls there searching for a boy named Henry' she announced. I walked off and grabbed the reins before climbing up into the saddle and trotted down to the gate. As I waited for it to open Judith walked beside me and the horse, 'Could I come with you?' she looked up at me as I thought about it, 'it's dangerous out there Judith. I don't want anything to happen to you' I whispered down to her, 'but we went out looking for Negan on our own' she tried to reason, 'I know we did, but Gabe wasn't too far away from us. I-I just don't want you to get hurt is all' I replied, 'ok, come and see me when you get back though' she sighed, 'how about this when I get back, I'll get you on a horse and teach you to really ride' I smiled, she did the same and walked away.

We galloped down the road, trees whizzed by like soldiers in a line. The wind ran through my hair and past my ears as we started to slow down. I caught sight of a walker, standing completely still before we moved past it. A few moments later I felt an indescribable force hit me in the chest and knock me from the horse, he continued racing down the concrete without a second look back at me. I lay winded on the floor, gasping for breath as I looked up at the thick wire that stretched out from tree to tree either side of the clearing, 'now... What.. Are you doing.. Here?' a slow southern accent whispered as it got closer and closer.

I looked up at the mangled and mauled face of a walker hovering above my head, one... Two... Five. More appeared around me and pulled me from the floor, they bound my hands and pulled a foul smelling mask over my head, it took a few moments for my stomach to retch up the very few things I'd eaten, they all stop and stared until I'd finished. Then just carried on walking plain as day. I just hoped that my horse was on his way to hilltop.