Chapter 4

I awoke to quiet whispers, I turned over and squinted as my eyes adjusted to the light. I looked up. Michonne stood above me with an infuriated thousand yard stare. I looked past her at the worn face that I'd spoken to during the night, his hair was short and grey, he had a small beard and sat on his bed with his back against the wall. Before I could speak to him again Michonne dragged me from the dust riddled floor and pushed me to the exit, just as I left I heard him mutter, 'see you later kid' I smiled as I left and climbed up the stairs to the outside. She circled me and glared at my face, 'what were you doing down there?!' before I could reply young Judith trotted along towards us, she stood by her mom and looked carefully at one of us then the other, 'maybe she just needed a friend' I smiled before she took my hand and led me away from the house, 'thank you' I sighed in relief.

'it's okay, I like to talk to him too. He's nice, he just made a few mistakes is all' I smiled at her positive outlook as we kept walking to a cream coloured house with white finishings. She led me in and craned her neck to find something, or someone. Not a moment later a tall thin man with a short black beard and tied back hair stepped around the corner and greeted us with a smile, 'hey Judith, who's this?' he knelt down to her height and looked up at me with happy eyes, 'this is Maddie, she knew Daryl and Rick before I was born' he smiled and shook my free hand, 'lovely to meet you I'm Sadiq. So what are you guys doing?' he returned to his normal height and looked back to Judith, 'i thought I'd take her on a tour' she grinned back, 'make sure you stop by the barn, I'm sure she'd love to see some living animals for once' I smiled at the thought. Animals were so rare to come by and if you did find them they were half eaten and covered head to hoof in claw and teeth marks from the dead. So it was nice to think of something that was from before the end of the world. She quietly led me back out, Sadiq gave me a small wave before we exited the door and paced over to a small patch of land with steel shacks and a wooden building in the center, surrounded it we're numerous chickens and the occasional pig.

We wandered about the small farm before Judith left to socialise, as her usual smiley self did. I soon found myself wandering back to the house and down into the basement. I stood for a second before he looked up surprised 'Maddie Right? Well I'll be damned. I don't get visitors in the day unless it's shit heads bragging about their freedom' I half nodded as he looked about the room, he took a moment before glaring back up at me and noticing the small scar I held on my cheek.

'now hold on I didn't see that lil nugget of info on the old agenda last night. how'd you get that?' he smirked as I ignored his question before he sighed and returned back to his busy day of doing nothing, 'alright sweetheart, you go on and ignore me' I sat back slowly on the creaky wooden bench as he moaned.

We both sat quietly before he piped up, 'I had a place like this once, I'll admit it weren't the best run. But it kept people alive, until I came across a little thorn in my backside known as Rick he-' he paused, I took the moment to ask some questions I'd thought of, 'when did he.. You know?' Negan sighed, 'kick the bucket? I don't know. Must've been nearly 6 years now' I took it in and sat back, 'gosh, you must've been.. What are ya? 17 you must've only been 8 when the world went to shit' he looked at me with sympathy as we spoke, 'can you remember any of it when it started?' he questioned. I took a few breaths before clenching my jaw and looking up at him, 'I remember small things, I remember when Rick and Daryl found me. I was buried under a counter in a corner drug store, I don't know how long I'd been there' I chuckled, he took that as a chance to show a warm smile.

He ran his hand over his hair before placing it on his thigh, 'what happened to your family?' his voice grumbled as he said it then waited for my return, 'you first' I asked with a sly smile. He smirked and slouched back into his chair, 'my wife, she was a wonderful woman... She'd have never made it out here' I watched his eyes as they stared down at the floor before finding their way back up to me.

'now darlin' your turn' he smiled as he waited, 'my mom died when I was 4, my dad shot himself 19 days into all this' I breathed it out quickly, 'shit. Kid I'm.. I'm sorry' he frowned.