Chapter 10

I shot my eyes wide open and screeched as freezing water collided with my face and drenched my entire body. I gasped and shivered as my muscles screamed at the feeling. The freakishly tall guy bent down and pulled the rag from my mouth.

'where are you from?' he whispered, I looked at the blonde haired boy who had also been tethered to a tree beside me. That must be Henry.

'Alexandria' I spat back at him. He snarled and moved on, the earth shaking with each of his mighty steps.

'you're from Alexandria?' Henry whispered. I looked to see who was watching, we were clear for now, 'yeh. I'm Maddie. Friend of Daryls, I was on my way to come find him and to help him find you' I briefly said as two horrific looking people stumbled by in their masks.

We spoke for all of two minutes before the one who I first met stood infront of Henry and I. She barely started talking before two of her own approached her, 'you letting the weak die' they said, 'we don't go back for the lost. Never have. Until your cub got caught' he whispered with a raspy voice. I tried to figure out what they were talking about, I'd clearly missed something.

'hey excuse me' I preached, 'could you fill me in please' the Alpha I'd come to learn turned slowly on her heels and tiptoed closer to me, she briefly made eye contact with a long dark haired girl in a pinky purple sweatshirt. 'my daughter was caught by your friends, and this little rodent decided to scurry after us to get her back' she spat while she looked at Henry.

'oh. OK thank you' I gave her a sarcastic smile. 'am I a joke to you?' she prodded. I shook my head, 'nope not at all. I'm sorry I'm a little scared and nervous and it's coming out as sarcasm and-' I barely finished when the crack of a fist fully thrusted into my nose. I keeled over and spat blood all over my shoes. I stayed bent over, I couldn't do anything wrong if I wasn't interacting with her. I watched as her shoes turned and marched away before lifting my head up and seeing the girl in the sweatshirt look at me worriedly, I spat blood onto the floor in a reply I intended to mean 'I'm fine' but it just looked like I was bleeding too much, which I was it ran down my t-shirt and stained the leaves below me.

'we gave up two of there's for your girl' he continued as if nothing had ever happened, 'I don't like that math'

'we know who they are now... Where they are, what they have. We know if there's conflict we'll win' she whispered back to him, 'if you have a problem with me as leader you know what to do' he took a moment before he stepped forward, 'I challenge you. Your not fit to lead anymore' he said through gritted teeth. She cackled in amusement, 'you think you're the man to replace me.. To become the new alpha'

Beta clutched the imposters head and held a knife to his throat, 'you have the right to challenge my leadership at any time and I have the right to defend it... I know its you' she turned and tore at the woman's clothes and pushed her into the middle of the clearing, 'I saw you. In the woods plotting with your boyfriend' she cautioned, 'what no' the woman frantically responded, 'oh yes you were,' she stood closer to her face, 'challenge isn't his it's yours' she figured, both I and Henry watched as they circled each other like cats in heat. 'you led us into danger. With them two here we're still in danger their people already killed many of ours and where is the payback for that' the challengee concluded as she looked at us tied to our posts, 'you failed all of us' she turned back to the alpha, 'have I failed you? They all follow me by choice, cuz I make em strong. Cuz I keep em alive. Me' she announced as she stood among her masked army. 'I don't want to fight you' the defensless woman said, she started to visibly shake in fear. The Alpha circled her like prey, 'too late' she whispered by her ear before pulling a thin wire around her neck and pulling, hard. We all watched as blood spurted and gushed from her neck, she clutched it frantically as the wire snapped through her spine and dropped her head to the floor. I stared down at it, I hid the throbbing pain in my nose but I don't think I could hide the look of horror on my face. I watched on as she picked the severed head up and flashed it around like a trophy before setting it into the arms of her partner, he stared at it in shock. Alpha took no problem in plunging a knife into his gut. We both stared at the corpses flailed on the floor.