Chapter 5

I sat quietly at the dinner table, Michonne one end, Judith the other and the other child I'd only recently met opposite me. We all silently ate, I could often feel the stare of Michonne on me.

'We're going to hilltop tomorrow Judith, make sure to pack a bag' she smiled and nodded before finishing her food and jumping down, 'what's hilltop?' I stuttered as her eyes turned back to me, she sighed before speaking again, 'it's a community, alot like this. An old friend now leads it, Maggie' I dropped my spoon and peeled my eyes back in surprise, 'Maggie?! She's OK?' Michonne tried to contain her smirk in amusement at my surprise.

'So you knew Rick?' she murmered. I reassuringly nodded as I thought of what to say next, 'I can see why you loved him. He was determined, always wanted to do the right thing. He was always like that, he saved me. I ain't ever gonna forget it' I whispered before gazing back up at her, a few tears fell down her cheek she quickly swiped them away before sharing a small smile, 'would you mind taking that tray over there to-'
'Negan. Sure' I finished, I left the table with a smile glad she was starting to trust me. I clutched both ends of the tray and headed out the door and round to the stairwell.

'is that my dinner? Thank god I was starting to think I'd die of starvation' he mocked, 'you got some fries, an apple and a beef and tomato sandwich' I blurted, 'mmm are they Gabes fries? I love the shit out of them' I slid the tray under the bars to him before he leant down and dug into his food, 'who's Gabe?' I questioned.

He tried to reply with his mouth full before waiting a moment and swallowing, 'Father Gabriel? Well as his title suggests he's a huge god loving ass-hole with a cool eye' he grinned before returning to his chair and scoffing enormous bites of his sandwich down. I waited a few moments on the bench while I watched him wolf his entire meal down, 'Darlin' not to be a pain but could I trouble you for a tall glass of water?' he wondered. I trecked back up the stairs and out into the baltic night. I located the pumps and grabbed a cup from the small cabinet by it before rinsing it out and filling it up, I stood waiting as the water swirled around the glass slowly remembering the candy bar hidden in my jacket pocket.

On my way back I swung in the door and unhooked my jacket then leaving again and shooting down the stairs into the prison while sliding my arms into it and reaching into the pocket. Carefully, I pushed the cup through the bars and held it until he gently grabbed it, 'I brought you somethin' he watched me as I pulled the sealed packet from my pocket and threw it to him. He caught it with a grin and chuckled lightly, 'thank you kid, don't see many of these around no more' he flipped it over, 'these used to be the shit back in my day' he claimed as he split the wrapper and pulled it down before breaking half off and throwing it back to me, 'you sure?' I held it in my palm, 'kid, people treat me like shit apart from you and Judith. Judith took a couple years to warm up to me, whereas you've known me for a day and already sharing candy bars with me. So yeh I'm damn sure. Just don't let people take advantage of your kindness is all, but you've lasted this long who am I to tell you not to be nice, you seem like a badass' he ventured.

'thank you' I grinned before taking a bite as he did the same, and visibly showing his enjoyance of it.

'you never said what shit happened to your face' he shot as he chewed on the remanance of the bar. I gulped the rest of mine down while he waited for my response, 'Rick's partner... Shane, way back when. He wanted me dead, didn't have the guts to do it, he was mighty close holding a knife against my face and spitting at me yelling that I needed to get out of there otherwise he'd slit my throat... ' I revealed.

'Jesus kid, what did you do wrong. An 8 year old on a rampage' he mocked. 'caught him having relations with Rick's wife' I retaliated, he took a moment before he started laughing, 'you mean Rick's wife was fucking Rick's partner? Damn that is some hill Billy fucked up love triangle shit' he joked. I smiled, trying to hide the hurt beneath.