piper and harry's sleep was disturbed

the five times that Harry and Piper's sleep was disturbed (and one time it wasn't)

1.

Piper jolted awake quite suddenly, rolling onto her back and away from where she'd been sprawled across Harry's bare chest. He mumbled in his sleep, his arm shifting a bit as if reaching out for her, but she was fully awake now. Something had pulled her from sleep and she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep until she figured out what it was.

She rolled silently out of bed, tiptoeing out of her bedroom and down the hall. She nearly jumped right out of her skin at the bang in the hallway. Something was definitely out there. She hurried to the door, pressing her ear against it and listening for more noises. It couldn't be Bertie, not making that much noise. His MO was usually scratching at the door and maybe whining a bit. It didn't sound like it was coming from upstairs either so it couldn't be Clive. This was something new.

She turned on the monitor and gasped when she saw that the front door was wide open instead of closed as it should be. Someone had broken in.

She screamed when a pair of hands touched her waist but Harry was shushing her instantly, grasping her gently and pulling her close so he could wrap his arms around the front of her shoulders. "What's going on?" he mumbled sleepily as he dropped his chin onto her shoulder and looked at the monitor. "Is that door open?"

"I think someone broke in."

"Maybe one of Clive's friends?" Harry suggested. Piper shook her head.

"I don't think so. I think this is something different."

"Stay here," Harry said before he padded off toward her room. He came back a moment later carrying his Glock, holding it at his side. With Piper at his back, he unlocked the door, opening it enough that he could stick his head out and take a look. When everything was clear, he opened it wider and stepped through carefully, Piper clinging to his back.

The door upstairs opened and both Harry and Piper looked up at the landing. Clive was leaning over the banister, holding a bat above his head. "What's going on?" he asked, squinting down at Piper in her bralette and shorts, and Harry in his boxer briefs.

It was like the Twilight Zone. For once, Harry, Piper and Clive were all on the same team. "I think someone broke in," Harry told Clive. The two of them stared threateningly at each other for a moment and then Harry angled his gaze toward Piper. "Stay here. I'm going to check out downstairs."

Piper nodded and watched him go, descending down into the darkness. She kept an ear out for Harry but kept her eyes on Clive, watching him suspiciously. He'd lowered the bat but he didn't take his eyes off Piper so she returned the favour. Neither of them pulled their gaze away until Harry jogged back up the stairs, gun at his side.

"Someone tried to steal my car," he told her. "They went in through the front. The car's hot-wired but they couldn't get the garage door open so it looks like they took off and left the front door open." Harry begrudgingly looked over his shoulder at Clive standing on the landing above. "You get all that?"

Clive nodded, letting the bat drop down to his side. Piper looked between the two of them, a black ops agent and a member of a crime syndicate, and snorted a laugh. "Those idiots picked the wrong building to break into."

Clive sighed and stepped into his flat, shutting the door behind him with a bang. Harry just rolled his eyes.

"C'mon petal, let's just go back to bed."

2.

They both woke up at the same time when the shrill ringing echoed through Piper's small bedroom. She waited, hoping it would stop, but it didn't and Harry, who had been sprawled out on his stomach, patted his hand down until it found her back on the bed and then he nudged her hard.