-6-

Present day.

"Regina Walberg is your only sibling." The lawyer said looking down at a file she had removed from her briefcase.

Regan nodded. "My twin sister."

She looked up at him, surprise evident on her face. "That woman is thirty-five years old?"

"Why?"

She leaned back into the chair and removed her dark-rimmed glasses. "I could have sworn she looks twenty."

Regan didn't know what to say to that. He didn't give a shit either. He shrugged at her. She put on her glasses and looked down at the file again.

"You're undergoing a divorce."

"Was."

She looked up at him, a piteous look bordering her features. "I heard about your wife, I am very sorry about what happened."

He gave a small nod to acknowledge her well wishes, hoping she didn't peruse the topic any further. He wouldn't be able to bear it. Thankfully she didn't.

"One kid."

He didn't reply and she looked up at him in askance.

"What? Do you want me to keep saying yes to what is probably true? Like it's written there already."

"As a matter of fact, I do."

"Well, I'll be damned."

"Mr. Walberg, I would appreciate it if you could be a little nicer. At least for the sake of our time. Also," she raised the file. "There are things in this file that have put you in this position, some of which aren't true."

"In your opinion."

"No, in the opinion of those that love you."

He snorted. "Pile of shit. Those people are the ones that put me here. They're dangerous and are incapable of love."

"Just who exactly are they Mr. Walberg?" He looked on with stoic silence and the lawyer sighed. "Let's continue."

After she had read on for over ten minutes, all his achievements and how he'd worked hard to be in the position he was, Regan started to feel sorry for himself. Sorry that he'd let himself get into the mess he was in, sorry that he was not interested in setting himself free. This was his cross and he had to bear it.

"Okay, seems like we've gone through everything here." She removed her glasses and folded them neatly into a glass case. "So, is there anything else you'll like to tell me that's not written here?"

He shrugged. "Not that I know of."

She seemed satisfied. "I'll go through your arrest file thoroughly but for now, everything I have here is enough to get you out on bail."

"I hope."

She neatly arranged all her stuff and his case file into her briefcase and then stood. "I'll be back in a few minutes with a change of clothes for you. You're going home today."

Regan doubted he would feel at home anymore. He was scared. Frightened. But he could use a hot meal and a shower. "You sure?"

"That was the deal, wasn't it? I get you out on bail and you cooperate to fight for your innocence."

Hearing it being said, it sounded very bizarre, that he had to be bribed to fight for his innocence and his right.

"Why are you so interested?" He asked. "If anything, you've been treated with nothing but hostility since you got here. Do you really want to prove your competence to me?"