-7-

It was the most awkward thing in his life but his sister didn't seem to notice. She had made him dip in the bath and was scrubbing his back for him. She hadn't even looked away when he wanted to strip. He'd had to tell her to respect his privacy and close her eyes.

Instead, she'd rolled her eyes and said, "I have a husband, you know. His is way bigger."

They had both laughed at it and it felt good. They fought constantly that it was a surprise she was being so nice. Not that they hadn't had their good moments as twins but his memory was very selective, and the bastard decided to remember the bickering and fights. It felt good to remind himself that he and Regina could have a good laugh.

He arched his back.

"Stay still."

"Your scrub is very harsh, take it down a notch will you?"

"You stink of jail I need to be vigorous." She argued but she eased the scrubbing and started to play with the foam.

"What?" He asked.

"What?"

"Something's on your mind."

She placed the sponge into the tub and stood to wash her hands. He waited for her to dry her hands before repeating his question. He knew his sister so well to know when something was eating away at her, something that rarely happened.

The truth was, Regina seldom felt guilty but Regan did in double portions that he had to assume that when God was handing out the ability to feel guilty to the both of them, she stepped out of the line and he ended up taking both their portions. Even if Regan always acted like he didn't care, he always felt guilty. He wondered how Regina never did. Now, he could see the very thing eating away at her and he recognized it right off.

"Would you mind if Dad and Colonel came?"

He was taken aback by the question at first, but then his surprise turned into anger. His face became rocky hard and his lips thinned considerably when he said, "Yes I would mind. Very, very much."

Regina's face fell. "Why are you -"

"None of your business."

"But -"

"It's better you don't know."

"But what if -"

"It's for the best."

"Am I allowed to complete a statement here?"

"No. I want to bathe. Leave."

She sighed. "Regan -"

The doorbell rang interrupting them. Her eyes widened.

"Are they here already?"

"What "they"? What the hell did you do?"

"Relax. It's Mom and Blaire."

Regan's heart skipped. He had missed his son.

"I think." She concluded with a small voice.

He looked at her balefully. "I want to bathe."

She turned and headed out to the sitting room while he quickly rinsed off and dried his body, all the while thinking of what to say to his son. Would Blare still recognize him? He laughed it off. It was only two weeks, of course, he would recognize him. But kids forget easily. Not this kid. Not his kid.

Was he being paranoid? Yes, he was. But with good reason. Regan wasn't sure Blaire would welcome him with open arms especially because of their last contact before he had been dragged to jail. His mouth became bitter with regret and guilt.