-8-

"You've not said a word in about six blocks, that's a record."

Regina spared her mom a glance and allowed her a small smile. "Why are you complaining? I thought you detested my blabbermouth."

They had left Regan's house and were now in Regina's car heading home. Since her house was close to her mom's, Regina decided to drop her mom off before heading home.

Angel laughed. "Oh I do, trust me I do, but I don't think you should be doing anything that changes you from your original self, or that makes you unhappy or uncomfortable. If it's selfish, let it be so. Your happiness comes first."

"Thanks, mom," She said dryly and then heaved a sigh.

"What's on your mind?"

"I'm worried about Regan."

"Me too. Probably more than you are."

"Mom, those accusations against him are appalling."

"I agree."

"Regan would never give the order for anyone to go ahead to shoot unarmed civilians if there wasn't a good reason."

"Yes, Reggie, yes. But people have reasons to believe that he did without thinking of the consequences."

"But he's innocent."

"Saying it won't convince the grand jury, honey. We just need to have faith in his lawyer that she'll deliver." Angel glanced at her daughter. "She seems like a good one."

Regina snorted. "Because she got him out on bail? Even a retard knows how to get someone bailed out, much less a black."

"Certainly not someone accused of a massacre that involved women and children," Angel said defensively. "Unharmed ones too. And blacks don't have horns and excreta on their body. It's their skin and it's beautiful if you ask me."

Regina nodded. "I didn't ask you."

"You know what I don't seem to get?"

"What?"

"Dad, Conrad, and your husband all have friends in power whom they could have met to call in a favor for them -- I do not in any way suggest that justice shouldn't be served but they could have done something, pulled some strings, for Regan."

"They might have a good reason not to. I don't think they'll watch Regan go to jail for the rest of his life and do nothing about it."

"I hope not. Although it seems as though it would be hard, given the way Regan is acting towards them."

Regina waved her off. "He'll come around. He's probably just pissed that no one stood up for him."

"Poor boy," Angel said and looked out the window. "Drop me here, I want to get to the convenience store."

"Okay."

"Don't worry I'll get a cab back home."

"I never asked, but great."

Angel alighted from the car laughing, then Regina stepped on the accelerator. The day was beautiful so she rolled down the windows. It was typical of Bethel in the summer. Hot sun but enough wind to reduce the intensity.  In no time she got to the gate of her large house and was buzzed in. She parked, cut the engine, opened the door, and slammed it shut.

As if on cue, one of the maids came toward her and collected her handbag.

"Welcome, ma'am."

Regina nodded back. She looked up at the three-story house and sighed. She shut her eyes, mentally preparing herself to continue the vicious cycle in her ever-boring life.