Chapter 4- Company

The woman was waiting for him again the next day, and the one after that. Lachlan got into the habit of staying in school until the limo arrived, then pelted across the stretch of grass that separated him from safety. His stalker called out to him each time, begging to speak to him, but he never responded. Then one day she didn’t come.

        Lachlan sat, feeling depressed, in the back of the limo, gazing mournfully out the window. His stalker was gone. He should be glad...but deep, deep, deep down, he missed her, just a little bit. At least she tried to talk to him, and she seemed friendly enough...

        The limo pulled into their long driveway and Lachlan jumped out without a word, padding slowly toward the massive, gilded front doors, with their lion head knockers. Turning down the stone path, he headed for the smaller, less grand side door which he preferred to use. Seated on the bench to the right of the door was the one armed woman, staring absently at the side gardens, a masterpiece of lilies and orchids, hydrangeas and daffodils. The woman’s face lit up, as it did every time she saw him.

        “Hey, kid. I figured you didn’t want to talk at school, so I thought I should meet you on more comfortable territory. You’re pretty rich, aren’t you? I love your house.” Lachlan slammed into the door in an attempt to escape, the old hinges jamming.

        “Look, please, if you could just hear me out, that’s all I ask. Listen to what I have to say, and if you don’t like it, I’ll leave,” she pleaded. Lachlan glanced back, taking in her face, a mask of pain and yearning. Doubt stirred in his stomach, mingling with curiosity. He hesitated, fingering the door handle. Finally, he leaned his back against the heavy oak, arms crossed.

        “Fine, make it quick. What do you want with me?” he snapped, eyebrows drawn together. The woman smiled.

        “My name is Kilay Ra. That’s ‘Kee-Lay,’ not like ‘Kiley.' I want to help you love life again.”

        “Yeah, you said that before. You have a minute to impress me before I call security.” Kilay raised her red brows and continued.

        “I understand that life is hard for you; you’ve given up on it. That’s why you wanted to die. But death is no answer. Death can’t change anything. Only life can change, while death is eternal. And you only get one chance, so don't waste it.” Lachlan frowned, eyes on the ground.

        “And why do you care about me? We don’t even know each other.”

        “Because I’ve never seen eyes so devoid of happiness and life before, and I can’t stand to see that tear you apart. Because inside you I see a great spark, and I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I let that get snuffed out, especially by your own hands. Because I’m human too, and I’ve known pain.” Kilay glanced at her missing arm and shrugged, an awkward, lopsided gesture. “When you’ve lost something life changing, you learn to see the world in a different light, and it makes you want to preserve as much light and life as possible before you die.” She stepped forward, imploring him. “Please, just give me a chance to show you that there is more to life than agony.” Lachlan lifted his gaze and met her eyes, staring into their open, honest, green depths. She really means what she says, he thought, chest tight. But it’s already too late for that.

        “Meet me after school tomorrow. I’ll be waiting in the same place. Give your heart a chance to heal,” she begged. Lachlan turned away, silent. Kilay gave him a sorrowful glance and turned away.

        “Just...don’t do something you can’t take back...” she said, and Lachlan was alone in the darkness of his mind, the garden seeming to tunnel and close in around him. Shaking the feeling, he went inside, the door opening easily now, and buried himself in thought.