Chapter 6- Conversation

He was pulled out of class that day by a counselor. The attractive young woman gazed sympathetically across her desk at the boy, her blue eyes pleading.

        “Hi Lachlan. How are you feeling today?”

         “Fine,” he intoned, putting on the same guise he did every time something like this happened, absently fiddling with a backpack strap. “Why am I here?” The woman reached out, pulling herself on her swivel chair around the desk to get closer to him.

         “I understand you were called out of school for a few days, and you seem a little down, so I just wanted to make sure everything is ok.” Lachlan pasted a charming smile on his face, as instructed as a child, a smile to put people at ease.

          “Of course, why would I be down? Everything is fine, it’s just...”

          “Just what? You can tell me anything, I promise I’ll help you,” she said, placing one hand atop his.

        “I guess I’m just a little stressed about exams, but now that I say it, I’m sure it’ll be fine. It always is, so I’m not worried. Thanks for talking, I feel much better now,” he said, feeling like a wax doll, a mannequin: fake. The counselor searched his gaze, then nodded.

            “Alright, as long as you’re sure. Please remember that you can come and talk to me any time you want, about anything.” Lachlan kept up his smile, his left cheek growing sore from the healing injury.

            “Of course, I’ll do just that if anything comes up. Thank you again.”

         The hallways were dark again, shadows licking at his ankles as he walked, zombie like, toward the exit, working their way into his heart. He walked in an empty bubble, the other students seeming to unconsciously give him space. Bright sunlight blinded him as he emerged from the school, searing his insides, piercing his body like thousands of tiny needles.

           His ride was here on time for once, but he walked past it, heading toward the warehouse district. A wave of sick excitement spurred him forward and he ran.

           “Hey, whoa, where you going in such a rush? Isn’t your ride here?” Kilay appeared out of nowhere, snagging the back of his belt. Lachlan was yanked to a halt and he whirled around, the movement knocking tears from his eyes.

            “Let go of me!” Kilay stared at him, eyes wide, then hugged him fiercely, sole arm wrapped like an iron vice around his back. She didn’t say anything for a long time as Lachlan pushed and shoved, squirmed and struck out at her, all for naught. Finally, she spoke, as his fists lost strength and he succumbed to gasping sobs.

            “You told me once that no one listens, that I don’t. But I want you to know that I will always listen to you, no matter where or when or how, or what you have to say. I’ll listen.”

          The world was tunneling in on him, darkness pressing down like hot acid on all sides, drowning him, sucking him under. Striking though the dark was a ray of brilliant fire, vibrant green and red, blazing with life. He sank to his knees, the weight unbearable, and felt a strong arm buoy him upright, taking some of the load. She sank thorns deep into his heart, bleeding out the venom.

            Kilay listened as the boy’s sobs lost force, until he was limp in her grasp, leaning into her, face buried in her shoulder. She gently stroked his hair and back, head tipped up to dry her own tears.

            “Come with me,” she said, carefully drawing him to his feet. He stared at her with vacant, red eyes, face wet, body caving in on itself. He followed her to the limo, hearing her words through a thick fog, muted and echoey. The limo lurched forward, taking him away from his home, from hell.