Chapter 14- Supporter

The summer seemed to go by in a blur. In the extreme heat that came late in the season, Kilay’s energy flagged a bit, and she couldn’t go outside. She still made the effort to come to his house nearly every day, except those she had appointments on, to bring him to her apartment to play board games or do indoor activities, like movies. Lachlan had noticed, despite all her efforts to hide it, that she had lost weight in the past few months, bones pressing against her skin. Whenever he was with her she could barely get anything down.

        The stress of impending school weighed on Lachlan, warring with his concern for his friend, if that’s what he could call her. He sat that day in the dining room, gazing at the piles of textbooks before him. His mother passed by with Pia, glancing over at her son.

        “Lachlan, make sure you keep up your grades. We’re not paying the amount we are for some half assed effort. Laziness is not what we keep you here for.” Lachlan nodded mutely, feeling considerably worse. He had hoped to see Kilay again today, but he should really start learning the content before classes began next week, so he could stay ahead of the other students. In order to better monitor him, and because it was best for those of their status, Lachlan was being forced to live at home, even though his seventeenth birthday was coming up, and he could technically live alone with their consent. Technically he was still in high school, so it was normal, but it was still something he had been thinking about recently.

        The grandfather clock in the hall tolled out two in the afternoon. Stiff from hours of studying, Lachlan stepped outside, admiring their gardens. A flash of red caught his attention and he turned to see Kilay racing over.

        “Hey, good to see you out of your cave of studying and nonsense,” she chirped.

        “School work is important, but you wouldn’t know that since you don’t have a job.” Kilay laughed.

        “Yeah, and I never graduated.” Lachlan raised an eyebrow.

        “You didn’t graduate college?” Kilay shook her head.

        “I already told you, remember? I didn’t even graduate high school. I was too sick too often, so I never went to school full time. Ever. I’ve been educating myself at home, though, so I’m no moron. I just don’t see the point of overworking yourself when there are perfectly good jobs out there that don’t require you to waste your time and money getting.” Lachlan rolled his eyes.

        “What’s on your mind today?” he asked her. Kilay made a little jump, clapping her hand against one thigh.

        “I’m glad you asked. There’s this end of summer parade going through the city, and I thought we should go. It’ll start soon, so get moving,” she said, tugging on the back of his belt to get him going. He shook his head and followed the excitable woman.

        “If that’s what you want. I’m not much of a parade person. Too loud, too many people, altogether pointless.”

        “Well, then, today I’m going to convert you!”

        It was evening when Lachlan left Kilay’s apartment. They had returned there after the parade had come to an abrupt end due to some unexpected rain. It was a good thing too, because halfway through Lachlan could tell Kilay was getting worn out. They had played a round of cards before Lachlan had to go home. His parents would want to see him studying, not out on the town.

        Kilay stood in the center of her small living room, staring at the broken violin hung on the wall. She had had it repaired as best as possible when she moved in. The man who had fixed it told her to throw it out, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. It reminded her of what she had lost, and the person she was now. And it was good company: they were both broken and falling apart, and would never produce music again. Just waiting for death.