Chapter 7- Symphony

“I hope you’re not busy today, ‘cause we’re going to a concert!”

        Lachlan stared dryly at Kilay, waiting in his garden once more, today dressed very nicely in a long black dress, hair swept up on top of her head.

        “I’m going to get behind in my studies if you keep kidnapping me like this all the time,” he informed her, reaching for the door. Kilay snorted.

        “Smart boy like you, unlikely. And anyways, having fun now and again won’t hurt much.” Lachlan gave a resigned sigh.

        “I swear I’ll kill you one day,” he said, but the energy was gone from his voice.

        The limo cruised slowly through the streets into the city, winding up at a beautifully built music theatre, the walls inscribed with delicate carvings of musical instruments. Soft classical music played in the lobby, softened by the carpeted walls and floor. Kilay approached the ticket window, smiling at the man within.

        “Miss Ra, always a pleasure to see you,” the man said, handing her two tickets. Kilay nodded to him and drew Lachlan toward the double doors in the back. They weaved down a winding hall, lined by other doors. People moved slowly around them, all heading in the same direction, chatting and laughing. They reached another set of beautifully decorated double doors and entered.

        Lachlan gazed in wonder at the hall, with its high, curved ceiling and rows of velvet lined seats, lights dimmed, preparing for the show. On the stage below a full symphony orchestra was warming up, filling the room with a cacophonous mix of tones and notes. Kilay descended to the ground floor and took a seat in the middle front, where they had a perfect view of the instruments and musicians. This close Lachlan could see the sweat on their brows, the pleasurably pained expressions on their faces.

        “Here we go. They should start pretty soon,” Kilay said, gazing around like a kid in a candy store. “Ever been to one of these?” she asked. Lachlan shook his head.

        “No, my parents never felt fit to bring me anywhere as high class as this.”

        “Well then,” Kilay said, and proceeded to point out different instruments and techniques, face lit up.

        “These guys aren’t just pros,” she continued as the lights began to blink out, and the conductor made his way to his stand. “They play with their very hearts and souls. You’ll see, it’s unlike anything you’ll ever experience.”

        There was dead silence. The conductor, an elderly man with short grey hair, raised his hands. The air grew thick with anticipation, the musicians poised over their instruments, awaiting their signal. The conductor’s hand dropped, and the room was suddenly alive with sound. It rang in Lachlan’s bones, filling him with an unexplainable sense of euphoria. He looked over at Kilay, who sat enthralled by the performance. She closed her eyes, face a mask of ecstasy. Lachlan turned back and let himself be taken in by the music.

        Silence came down like a hammer as the orchestra finished for intermission, snapping Lachlan out of a daze. Kilay remained where she was, smiling at him.

        “Well, how is it so far?”

        “Good, I guess,” Lachlan said with a shrug.

        “Can’t you just feel it in your very soul?” she asked, squirming in delight in her chair. Lachlan shrugged again.

        “It’s a little too loud for me.”