Chapter 1

Who's here? I'm taking attendance.

hello again, lovelies. i'm going back through and changing everything to past-tense because i like it better so just bear with me while i'm switching things over and some stuff is in present-tense and some is in past-tense

CAMILLA'S P.O.V

I got out of the car and looked up at the large house in front of me. "You're sure this is the right place?" I turned around to look at the car but it was already gone. "Okay," I said to myself with a sigh, keeping my feet planted firmly in their spot in front of the tall, black gate. I took a hesitant step towards the gate and jumped as a speaker buzzed.

"Please state your name and business," a male voice said.

"Uhh... C-Camilla Camino Valentina Ramirez." My eyebrows knitted together confusedly. This couldn't be his house.

"Oh. Mr. Castro will be out shortly." Castro? I thought for a minute before realizing that he probably used his first surname rather than his second. I got it. Mr. Valentina could be a little embarrassing.

The gate opened and I forced myself to walk forwards. The front door opened and a familiar man walked out. He didn't look like he was ever a druggie—that was for sure.

"Camino." He opened his arms for a hug and I awkwardly obliged. I didn't really want to but I felt guilty.

"Camilla please," I said quietly. I didn't like him calling me by the same name that Andrew did. The same one that only Andrew did.

"What?" He laughed. "You used to beg us to let you go by Camino."

"You mean last time you saw or spoke to me?" I raised my eyebrows skeptically. "Four years ago?"

"Yeah. Right. Sorry."

"It's okay."

"I don't really... know what kinda stuff you're into so you're welcome to redecorate your room. I can have Jace here help you." He set his hand on a young man's shoulder as he led me inside. Jace trailed behind as we made our way through the huge corridor and into the kitchen where a woman with a large, round stomach was cooking. It looked like she's pregnant. Well, it was obvious. "This is my wife."

She turned around, apparently just noticing that we were there. "Oh, sorry. Um, hello. I'm Alexis." She took one of my hands in hers. "It's really nice to meet you."

I nodded. "Nice to meet you too." She was pretty and she seemed nice but I'd learned not to judge a book by it's cover.

"Callieee! Chaaase!" He turned towards the stairs as a boy and girl made their way down. He picked the boy up. "This is Chase. He's six and he's missing four teeth. Smile." Chase smiled and laughed. He was missing four teeth. How the hell did he eat? "And that's Callie. She's fifteen." He nodded towards the girl. Chase was obviously his biological son. They looked a lot alike. Callie was too old to be biologically related to him though, so I assumed she was his step daughter. She had short, shoulder-length hair and bright green eyes, but she definitely wasn't paying attention to us. I didn't even know that she had looked at me a single time. I didn't mind. She must've been dreading those awkward introductions as much as I was.