Chapter Four: Hit and Stay

Christiana opened her mouth to scream but found she couldn't as the car drifted towards her. She froze in panic, eyes wide and fearful. The driver was able to stop, his front bumper just inches from her, but Christiana had tried to move at the last minute and ended up tripping on an area of uneven ground, and she fell backward. Anyone watching would have thought she was hit.

    Erik watched her fall backward, and thinking he had hit her, forgot and disregarded all of his rules and precautions and jumped from the car to his victim.

  Christiana had felt a painful twist in the muscles in her ankle, and hoped it wasn't broken.

  Mr. Cathy was running out of the store and over to the pair on the ground.

    Erik had found her sprawled on the ground, her books still locked in her arms.

    Christiana let them go as the man who nearly hit her fell to his knees beside her. She tried to sit up. "Miss are you alright?" His question was spoken with urgency, and his melodic voice caressed her ears. She was frightened by him and curious. He appeared to be extremely handsome, and quite concerned. Half of his face was covered by a mask.

   Mr. Cathy was with them now.

    "I'm quite fine, thank you," Christiana responded. She was already brushing the dust off of her books. "Thank goodness none of these were injured."

   "You fell and you're worried about books?" Mr. Cathy scolded.

   "Did I hit you, or did you fall?" The man asked.

    Still slightly dazed, Christiana looked up at him. "No, I fell. Tripped." Blushing at her own clumsiness she started to get to her feet, but the driver of the car made the mistake of trying to help her. His fingers were inches from her arm when she spotted them and shrieked.

   Erik immediately pulled back, his hand going to his face. His mask was on properly, so why - he looked at the old gentleman who was helping Christiana retrieve her fallen books.

   He smiled apologetically at Erik as Christiana crawled away from them both.

   "Sorry, she's funny about being touched. Not sure why."

   "Mr. Cathy, he doesn't need to know that, I've troubled the poor man enough."

    Christiana was standing - on her right foot, mostly - and was staring at the ground as she spoke. Erik was charmed by her pleasant voice, but shockes she thought she was troubling him.

   "Oh, it doesn't matter, I nearly hit you with my car - and I am so sorry!"

   "Everything is forgiven, please forget it."

   Refusing to meet his eyes Christiana ran back into Cathy's store.

    Erik looked at Mr. Cathy, utterly disappointed and horrified with himself.

   "Mr. Cathy," said Mr. Cathy, introducing himself.

   "Erik Stanton." Erik shook the man's hand. "Is she really alright? I didn't hurt her or offend her in any way?" His grrenish gold eyes searches Mr. Cathy's blue ones earnestly, hoping for some kind of truthful confirmation.

   "No, she's fine. She bangs herself up worse. Clumsier than a puppy learning to walk. In fact I hope she didn't offend you," Mr. Cathy chuckled and Erik briefly wondered if the man - who he now notived was dressed as a pirate - was sane. "Christiana's like that with all fellows. Most people actually. It is not that she doesn't like you, she's just scared to bits of people in general. Funny girl she is." Mr. Cathy eyed Erik then, specifically his mask. "You know, you're a regular Phantom of the Opera. If you'd like to see her again, she'll be playing Christine next Friday. Singing. Whoever wins the look alike contest gets to sing with her. I'm not saying I'll sway the judges... but if you would like to see her..." Mr. Cathy raised his eyebrows.