Chapter Sixteen: Unknown Emotions

The night was especially cold, and Christiana was huddled on the family room's sofa, tucked in a blanket Erik had laid over her. He was staring out the window, watching the snow fall as she watched him. He really was quite a sight. Tall, strong, kind. Ever vigilant. Protective. So many words could describe him. But only one did she wish she could use. Hers. But how could he be hers? They sent each other so many mixed signals. Yet she thought, now more than ever, that perhaps something was there. She did not want to believe he was as obsessed with her as he seemed. Only that he loved her... though, honestly if he were obsessed with her, she certainly wouldn't mind it.

     "I'm sorry I am not very good company tonight," Erik said, breaking into Christiana's thoughts.

   "What? Oh, no. Erik, you're wonderful. I enjoy being around you," she replied, smiling at him.

   "I don't know why."

   She looked at him, surprised. He shut his eyes, unable to believe he just said that out loud.

    "Because I like you and you're a good person. Why do you think you're not?"

   His visible cheek turned pink, as did the skin of his neck, peeking up from his black turtle neck. Did she really like him?

   "I don't want to spoil your opinion of me, Christiana. It would be better if you didn't know."

   "Erik, are you ever going to let me leave you?"

  His coppery eyes darkened in suspicion and masked fury. "No."

  In less than three strides, he had crossed the room and was kneeling before her. Christiana suddenly found her hands clasped in his. "I'll never let you leave, I can't. I need you with me, and I need to protect you from the outside world," he said with an intensity that made her unable to decide whether she should smile or start screaming.

    She removed some of the blankets piled on her. "Come here and warm up. Your hands are cold. Well... your skin is usually cold, actually."

   He slid in beside her, keeping a respectful space between them. Christiana was having none of that though. She shuffles over and put her head on his shoulder. "In that case Mr. Secrets, you better tell me if I'm going to live with you." Then she grew horrified. "I mean - not if it's makes you uncomfortable,  I don't-"

   "Shh." He pressed her back down against him and dared to wrap an arm around her. To his surprise she didn't push him away. "Christiana," he sighed her name in his warm, velvety deep voice. "I would have no reservations about baring my soul to you, other than the fact I know you would run away in fear if I did."

   "I wouldn't. Friends stick together," she said.

  He chuckled bitterly. "Is that what you want to be? Friends?"

   "I know I've encroached on your hospitality, so yes, I -"

  "That's not what I meant. And you will never encroach. I want to give you the world."

  "Thank you, but I don't need the world just yet. I'll be happy with... whatever kind of relationship you want."

    "I'd want whatever you wanted."

   "Then we'll be stuck in an infinite loop of "you walk through the door first, no you walk through the door first."

   Erik considered a moment. He had an idea, and he could always change his answer depending on hers. It was a safe option. His desire to know was going to kill him eventually, so why delay the inevitable?

   "How about a deal. You to me what kind if relationship you wouldn't mind us having - or just how you feel in regards to me, and I'll tell you one if my sins in return?"

    Neither of them could look each other in the eye.

  "Okay," Christiana said. She drew in a deep breath. "I really like you... and... I'd be open to... more than friendship. I... I have never met another man like you and frankly you seem like you popped out of a book, and I feel stupid because my feelings are romantic and I don't think you return the feeling." She spoke as fast as she could, jumbling the words. She felt him tense from first sentence and shoved the rest out. Now she wanted to cry as he said nothing and she knew she'd ruined whatever it was they had.

   She slowly began to peel herself from his side, but steel arms locked her in place, not letting her move even an inch, holding her tightly. "I love you." Erik whispered to her.

   Christiana grinned and settled down. "You're turn."

    "I loved you from the moment I saw you. You were so different, so absorbed in what you were doing, so careful. And then so shy after I tried to make sure you were alright. I couldn't stop thinking about you. It was as if I had found something I never knew was missing! I love you and damn anyone who tries to interfere."

   Christiana laughed. "That is such a you thing to say. Damn this, damn that. You'd damn everything."

  "I would."

   "But stop distracting me with proclaimations of love please. Let me get to better know the man I just gave my heart to."

    "What are your limits, what would make you fear me?"

   "Nothing."

    "Murder?"

    "Of course not - wait, what?"

     "I'm scarred. Deformed. That's why I wear a mask," he said to quickly bring her away from the subject of murder, since that seemed like a no-no for her.

   "You're handsome to me. But seriously, you are like... the modern Phantom of the Opera."

  "I'll only agree with that if you'll be my Christine."

  "Fine. But if Raoul drops by - ooh, Ray! He's Foppy. If Raoul comes by, don't almost hang him. Just drag me away, okay? I'll go willingly. You know... my mother is psychotic Madame Giry. So funny."

   "Khan is the Daroga."

   "Yes. Funny thing, my dad's cousin's daughter is named Megan and I was friends with her for three years. We were inseparable. But I Rau doesn't have a brother, so no Phillipe."

   "Or Andre and Firmin."

   "I'd be happy even if it were just us."

   "I could be stuck in a coffin wth you and be happy."

  "Kind of dark Erik, but we'll work on that." She snorted, realizing how off topic they were. "May I see your face?"

   "No. Not... now. Please just give us some time."

   "You can have my forever, Erik. I don't need it without you."

   "Aw, my poetic tendencies have been rubbing off on you!"

   "You're ego is too big."

A/N
   Who saw them and went awwww? I did. Also, funny story about how I wrote Christiana's confessions. I thought about what I would do and then did the opposite. Meaning if someone I like asks me that, I'm not going ti tell them the truth. Or even reply.  So go Christiana for being brave.

   Alexa 🎭

  P. S. Who wants to see Erik and Christiana have an adorable and hilarious thanksgiving and Christmas? Someone's going to have issues with a turkey.