08. until you decide otherwise!

UNTIL  YOU  DECIDE  OTHERWISE!

UNTIL YOU DECIDE OTHERWISE!

     ( The choking, the spluttering, the way we both fall

( The choking, the spluttering, the way we both fall. Our crimson could paint this town in colour. Shame we won't witness such a sight. Our fated demise, printed in the blood and your stars. )

    —SEVEN YEARS OLD AND
one day, a little girl sat on the edge of her bed, feet kicking back and forth. The walls around her were smeared in bleak white, and as she stared into their montone hues, did she create art with her mind. Letting the invisible paint dance up and down the room, decorating the place into a kalediscope of vivid colour. This is what she would do every evening, just before lights out. It was her own source of rebellion against Praesidium, for they could steal her time, and her youth, but they couldn't steal her mind.  

      That wasn't up for purloining. That would never be up for purloining.

     In the wake of her imagination did she create something beautiful, something that broke through the restrictions of her home, and provided hope. Youthful hope that would soon wither and die, just to be reborn — all in good time.

   Then darkness caved over Circe's eyesight, swallowing her into the obsidian texture of night. She would later use this murk to her advantage, slipping into the shadows and catching the evening talks of higher officials, albeit at this age, all she could do was lay there, counting sheep and stars until insomnia broke.

    A little girl tossed onto her side, duvet wrapped tight around her fragile body, and cried. It hadn't happened in so long, so when it arrived, even she was shocked. Circe couldn't identify this sadness, and she supposed it was just the average type that comes and goes as it pleases. She liked that, for it meant nothing was wrong with her, and she was no more human than the people around her.

     The black around her was a pool, and she was drowning. Breath stifling, eyes watering, statically begging. But begging for what? That she did not know, for the youth inside her didn't understand why she was so trapped. It was confusing for a little girl. It was all very confusing.