Chapter 9

3rd Person POV

Blaise was walking through the hallway. It was lesson change, and he was going to be late to Ancient Runes if he didn't hurry up. Unfortunately for him, he was going against the flow of students, most of them first, second and third years having all their lessons on the first 3 floors of the castle.

What he didn't realize at the time was that one Gryffindor student was taking a shortcut to Herbology through this particular corridor. Neville was going to be late if he didn't hurry up, Professor Snape had held him back in Defence Against the Dark Arts for 'being an incompetent dimwit'. He was trying to carefully wade through the onset of coming teens, but with little luck. He suddenly felt someone grab his hand and pull him through the crowd. 

Once they got through the crowded corridor and into a more deserted one, Neville looked up at his saviour. He didn't expect to see Blaise Zabini looking down a him.

"Blaise?"

"I'm sorry Neville, but I need to talk to you." Neville nodded as sign to go ahead. "In November, I went through my creature inheritance. I assume, being a pureblood, you know what that is?"

"Yeah. My Gran said that there was an elf inheritance very far back in the Longbottom line, whether it would re-surface again is another matter."

Blaise's eyes widened. It all made perfect sense.

"Believe me, it will."

"How do you know?" Neville asked in confusion.

"You have this very particular scent surrounding you. I couldn't put my finger on it before, but it is the scent a creature has about 6 months before their inheritance. With the last inheritance in your family being so far back, it is likely you will be very powerful, and there is a higher chance of you being a submissive, as you have no-one around to teach you anything else. You would run off instinct more than usual, and you'd be more protective of your mate and children. And-"

Neville cut him off. "Woah there Zabini. I currently have no idea whether I should even be talking to you right now. How do I know you aren't just pulling my leg?" Neville saw Blaise's face fall.

"I would never lie to my mate."

Neville's mouth opened in shock, and then twisted up in pain. Blaise watched his face contort, until Neville fell to the ground, limp.

+.+

"Mr. Potter! Mr. Malfoy! I need you two to follow me to the hospital wing." a brisk voice said as McGonagall stood at the potions doorway. All the teachers knew of Ron, Hermione and Harry's 'break-up as best friends', so Ron and Hermione were not called to come along.

Harry and Draco stood up, wondering what this could be about.

Slughorn nodded at McGonagall, letting her know it's ok, and continued on with the lesson. 

(time skip to the hospital wing bought to you by the 11pm rain going on outside)

As soon as Harry stepped into the hospital wing, he rushed over to Neville, who was lying on a bed. Draco stood at the door, his eyes stopping on Blaise, who was on the bed opposite staring at the ceiling. 

"Neville? Oh Neville, what on earth happened to you?" Harry whispered, distress clear in his voice.

"I did."

Harry and Draco both turned to Blaise.

"I told him he was my mate. He hadn't gone through his inheritance, of course he hadn't, and I forgot if you find your mate before you get your inheritance, you get it. An early inheritance. It's painful, more painful than the on-time one. Oh god, Neville!"

Blaise got up and ran over to Neville. He took his hand and sat down on the floor, laying his head on Neville's bed.

 After a few hours of pacing, thinking, sitting and sadness from Blaise, Neville started to come around.

"W-what? How'd I-, Harry? Malfoy?" Neville stirred, and suddenly locking eyes with Blaise.

"M-mate."

Blaise let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, and ran over to sit on the bed. He bought Neville into a hug, his wings (he's a veela btw, dunno if I mentioned it) ripping through his robes to incase them both in a tight embrace.

Harry and Draco looked at each other, and nodded at Madam Pomfrey. They made their leave in silence, looking back at the couple on the hospital bed, and smiling.

A/N - guess what lads

my sleep schedule is fucked

its currently half past 11

it raining

I have school tomorrow

but do I care that i'll be walking in, laughing like a maniac and running on 5 hours of sleep or something? 

no 

imma go play animal crossing, see if wisp is there

see ya *finger guns*

(Edit: wisp wasn't there, big sad)