Once-ler x reader

Onceler's POV

I sighed in the loneliness of my own home, missing my beloved (y/n). After greed claimed its glory over me she left, somewhere far apparently. Her face escapes me at the moment, but her laugh and voice stuck to me like a leech. The argument always echoed over and over in my mind throughout the years she's been gone, the guilt of pushing her aside to focus on biggering my company was torture.

I tried to forget about her, saying to myself that I could live without her, but I couldn't. I can't. My family noticed the change in me, I looked tired, didn't shower, didn't even eat because she was gone. Then they left me too. Why it struck me like a truck, I didn't need them, no way. But when the last truffula tree was destroyed for my sadistic creation, the guardian of the forest left me too. The Lorax was gone.

Everyone left me, leaving me in a whirlwind of misery and anger, in the middle of a wasteland of my doing. I'm surprised I didn't end my miserable life after all these years of unbearable darkness. It doesn't matter now, I'm old and have seen everything: from love to hatred, enemies to friends, the pain one can cause to hundreds of helpless animals who've lost their home. But there was one kid who gave me a glimpse of hope, to create a better future.

His name was Ted, he'd visit me nearly everyday to hear my story about what I've done. Sometimes he'd bring marshmallows, a drink for him and I. It was like having friends all over again. But did it matter now? I gave him the last truffula tree seed, to regrow! But knowing that little man - O'Hare was it? I'm not one for politics - it had probably been destroyed, the small light of hope was getting smaller like a candle who's flame is about to go out.

My eyes cast down to the wooden floor beneath me, thoughts swarming through my head like angry bees. I sighed, my hand reaching for the revolver in my desk. As my frail, wrinkled hand rummaged around the desk drawer, my eyes stole a glance at the picture of me and (y/n). It was us on our wedding day, she wore the most beautiful white dress with a flower crown covered in white roses. Her smile was wide and happy as her arms were wrapped around my neck, while mine were around her waist.

I smiled sadly at all the amazing times we've had together, the deafening silence made my smile seem forced as I knew what was going to go through my head in a few seconds. The revolver was in my shaky grip, already loaded. My heavy breathing seemed to be the only sound in the world as blood pounded in my ears. The barrel against my temple and I closed my eyes, trying to relax my nerves, until I heard a voice - a voice that I had pleaded to hear one last time.

"Don't do it, beanpole." A furry hand on my lap, my eyes widened but the gun didn't move an inch
"Why? There's nothing left." I stated in a harsh tone, not wanting to believe my words. I saw the Lorax shake his head
"You're wrong beanpole, place the gun down and I'll show you." He almost pleaded. My aching arm wavered and I slowly placed it down onto the desk, giving him a confused but curious stare.

He smiled lightly and jumped onto my lap, placing his furry hands onto my eyes.
"1..." I gulped, excitement building up inside me
"2..." Singing began to get louder, through the darkness I squinted trying to make out the words.
"....open your eyes beanpole" I felt wind and the singing was ever so clear, the air felt fresh and new. Smelling clear and invigorating. I felt his hands remove themselves from my view.

My eyes slowly opened, burning from the brightness which I was surrounded in. Blinking away the sting of the new environment, my eyes adjusted to where I was. I was in a town, bright and colourful and full of plastic. I stood at the edge of the empty building and peered down, the entire town was dancing and singing.

"Let it grow
Let it grow
Let the love inside you show!"

I stared in awe at the townspeople below, the one who stood out the most was this boy in red. Digging up soil, right in the middle of town. It was Ted. Before I could say anything, I felt a tiny tap on my shoulder, I turned around slowly. My mouth fell agape when I saw who it was, (y/n)...
She smiled at me, her grey hair brushed across her face in the cool wind and her wrinkles stretched with her grin
"Hello, my dear Onceler.." tears fell down her cheeks as she reached for my hand, which I gladly gave.

Tears painted my cheeks as I held her hands in mine
"It's been.. so long, my love..." I whispered through quite sobs, gazing into her (e/c) - grey with age. My smiled faltered as I watched her face shift slightly, her skin desposed of all wrinkles and her hair sunk into her natural (h/c) hair colour.
"Oncie, you're face!" I looked down and noticed my clothes get tighter, looking at my hands the wrinkles began to evaporate.
I laughed, I felt full of energy like when I was young
"I'm young again, and so are you!" I placed my hands on her cheeks and laughed with her

"Plant a seed inside the Earth, just one way to know it's worth
Let's celebrate the world's rebirth,
We say let it grow!"

She held onto my wrists and bounced joyously, laughing as we spun eachother around. I felt the Lorax behind us, smiling at the loving scene. I held onto her waist and her hand was in mine, swaying her side to side as we danced in the fresh air.

"Let it grow 
Let it grow
You can't reap what you don't sow!
It is just one tiny seed,
But it's all we really need!
It's time to banish all your greed,
Imagine Thneedville flowered and treed!
Let this be our solemn creed!..."

I smiled widely and looked at Ted from the edge of the building
"Thank you, Ted.." I felt (y/n)'s eyes on me, a smile painted her beautiful face. I gazed into her eyes and leaned in for a kiss, closing our eyes we connected our lips. Her arms wrapped around my neck while mine were around her waist, recreating our wedding picture it seemed. We pulled away for air and I turned around, giving the Lorax a caring smile
"Thank you so much Lorax, I... I'm sorry for what I did.." I smiled sadly, he took steps towards me.
"Don't sweat it kid, you did good." He patted my knee smiling and nodding at (y/n)
"You did good.."

"We say let it grow
(In Thneedville)
We say let it grow
(It's a brand new dawn!)
We say let it grow
(In Thneedville, it's a brand new dawn!)

We say let it grow..."

[Ok, so I might be back but it will be slow updates. I decided to make something heartwarming so..take this! Goodbye and I'll be back soon 🍓]