14

"Hey,"Summer said as she flipped the oh-so-fluffy pancake over. From the other side of the phone, her best friend, Margot, smiled.

"Whassup, foodie? The hair is awesome; can't wait to see it in person."

"And I can't wait to show you. Did the loser take you out yet?"

"Greg is NOT a loser, Summer Grace! You're a loser."

"Whatever, Davis. Did you go on a date yet?"

"Not yet. We'll go next weekend, gonna go to Target."

Summer nearly dropped her pancake.

"What?"

"Yeah, shopping. Fun."

"If you say so."

"Girl, you've never fallen in love. You don't know what it's like. This is my eighth boyfriend, I'm a pro, I got it. Don't be like your mom, pull an Eliza and date."

"Eliza has a boyfriend?" Summer being shocked was an understatement, to say the least.

"She did, they broke up two months ago after she tried to spike some girl's drink. He's some country singer's boy. Cute, but an asshole."

"How long have they been together?"

"Nearly a year."

"What?"Summer couldn't believe it.

"Girl, is she your sister or not?" Margot asked. "Everyone knows. All the teens, at least. Before that, it was some business tycoon's son, before him, a rockstar."

"Wait, the rockstar himself or the rockstar's son?"

"The rockstar himself."

"Dang. I had no clue."

"Look, I know y'all ain't close but dang, girl."

"Do my parents know?"

Margot gave her a look. "Do you not know your own parents? You think Moriah Peters Smallbone gon' let her daughters date? You think Joel David Smallbone ain't gonna do an interrogation, background check, and warning? Lordy, you live under a rock. Get your head outta the pantry and into the living room."

Summer laughed. "Only the pets are in the living room."

"Anyway, you should get a boyfriend. I got a nice list of boys for you. I'll send it once we're done."

"As you wish. I doubt any will work out."

Why?"

Summer shrugged. "I'm just not into dating. Romance. That sort of thing."

"You will when I show you these boys."

"Alright, then."