Nine

Clara woke up and decided that she should begin her morning making breakfast. However, she needed to first consider her options. Breakfast being her favorite meal of the day, she was quick to decided that a nice breakfast sandwich would be perfect. She noted that sweets could be tomorrow's breakfast. She would have more time tomorrow.

She slapped the sandwich together and with the right video she was eating. The house was quiet, since Elijah wakes up earlier than her for work. She took the quiet as an opportunity to muse over her old apartment. She wondered how her friend was doing. Despite everything, she still loved and cared for her friend. But, Elijah was right about her deserving better treatment.

She cleaned up the house a little bit before sitting down on the couch. A nice TV day would do her some good. It wouldn't be complete with Elijah's hoodie and good blanket. And snacks. She was quick to prepare all the necessities before she plopped back down and began her relaxing day. She wondered if Elijah was having a good day at work and if he enjoyed the lunch she packed him.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Elijah screamed as he threw open his office doors; his PA following behind like a child. "How many fucking times have I told you this, Shelby, I don't want that fucking time! I don't work on the weekends! You and I signed a fucking contract agreeing to this!"

"But sir, Mr. Daniels is a very busy man; arranging a meeting at all was next to impossible! Plus, I handed you the sticky note with the arrangement Monday. You had five days to—"

"I DONT CARE! Are you fucking stupid?! How long have you been doing this for?! You're fired! Get the fuck out and if you take another step on any of my lots I swear to God you will never work another day!" He roared. There was nothing Elijah hated more than disrespect. His PA had been the one to type all his letters to his subordinates firing them; one would think she'd have the common knowledge.

"But, Sir—please! I need—"

Elijah held his hand up and stared into the watery iris of his PA. "Get out, Miss Sow. If I am in a better temperament I may forgive this critical error since my father adored you and your vagina so much. But, I wouldn't count on it," Elijah scoffed, watching her ghostly pale face retreat from his shaking form.

Elijah sat in his office at 3:00 PM, his temperament so poor he completely forgot about his eager baby that was waiting for him at home. As Elijah waited in his Zoom meeting for Mr. Daniels he reasoned that he was doing this for his baby. She was worth the overtime. When he was done he'd call and pick her up. Then, when they got home, he'd dismiss himself to drink and relax with his baby.

This motivated Elijah to smile at Mr. Daniels as he joined the meeting. "Good afternoon, Mr.Daniels, I firstly want to apologize for the inconvenience of making you meet with me on a weekend. My former personal assistant made the mistake of scheduling it today." Elijah died a bit inside at the artificial apologetic attitude that swayed many into believing his words. He wasn't sorry for inconveniencing Mr Daniels, in fact, he didn't give a damn if he was alive or not. But, to do business properly one must sacrifice authenticity and embrace superficiality.

"It is no bother, Mr. Micheals. Your father was a wonderful affiliate of mine; so it is an honor to be doing business with his son. The company you have created is extremely secular and independent; you have —what?—four or three partnerships; I'm very curious why you've picked an interest in my company." Mr.Daniels was an eloquent bastard, Elijah gave him credit. He was articulate and classic in his ways of charisma. He was polished and refined. Practiced in his ways of persuasion and selling. Elijah was unpolished, rigid, and cold to all. Especially those involved in his line of work. It was reason why he lacked so many partners—his dark attitude turned people away. Not to mention how he ran his business made many question his sanity.

"Well," Elijah gave a thin lipped smile that exposed no teeth, "like you said, my late father held great respect for you and how you ran your corporation. When we withdrew from all old bonds we never quit our loyalty to old connections. We are young, that much is obvious, and I felt that by moving slowly into a higher, more competitive, market it would help us maintain our ethically correct approach we lost becoming more expanded and diverse," he realized he was spewing lies to Mr Daniels, but by the interested look on Mr Daniels face, Elijah knew he caught his attention.

"I suppose your approach can be claimed brilliant. Those who dive into our line of work always end up bankrupt or in jail," Mr.Daniel laughed, which caused Elijah to force one from his chest. He felt sick to his stomach as he chuckled along; he was a traitor to himself: endorsing the very terrible system he resisted. Where was his loyalty to his former beliefs? Would he sacrifice it all for revenge?

Yes, anything for my baby.

The meeting was painfully long for Elijah and by the time he hung up he was exhausted and in need of a drink. Mr.Daniels was very professional and seemed to take interest in a partnership, but Elijah would have to truly work at it and build a relationship in order to truly bond the companies. It would be a long and draining process.

Elijah poured himself a glass and noted that it was 5:30 already.

Elijah was drunk by 6:30 and was bothered by a subconscious nagging that he had an obligation to someone. He felt bad about forgetting, so he slipped into his imagination to feel less anxiety. Elijah hated anxiety.

Clara was worried. It was 8:00 and there was no sign of Elijah. He was usually home by now. He hadn't called or texted her. Her stomach was in knots just thinking about what could have possibly happened that caused him to not text or call. She was scared. He never left her alone in the house for so long. The silence was suffocating. Nothing like the peace it provided this morning.

Clara dialed his number, only for it go to voicemail. She texted him. It went unanswered. By now, she was slightly irritated by the lack of communication. Elijah wasn't like this. He was always attentive to time and to her calls. Maybe he was deliberately ignoring her.

She showered and did her night routine. Her stomach felt sick. While she was agitated, more than anything she was worried about him. New York is not a safe place. And while he was large, he was no match with fighting a man with a gun. So many what if's sprinkled her mind. She knew she wasn't going to be able to sleep. Not until he got home.

She called him again. This time it rang a couple times. He picked up. "Hello?"

"Elijah?"

"Speaking."

"Where are you? It's 10:30.. you haven't called or texted me all day. Are you okay?"

"I'm fineee. 'specially now that I'm talkin' to youuu."

His laughter echoed over the phone. Clara knew he was drunk. She had no idea where he was. Her stomach twisted even more.

"You're drunk."

"Drunk in loveeeee."

Clara found herself wanting to laugh at this rather lighthearted persona, but her worry only clouded her in anger.

"Where are you? I'm coming to pick you up." She was dressing quickly. While she had no vehicle, she knew she would walk miles if it meant bringing him home safely.

"I'm at work. I met with your friends little shithead's dad. He's a piece a work you know that. Jus' as annoying as the little shit. Maybe worse! Who knows!"

"What? — Listen to me, I'm coming to pick you up. Just–Just stay there. I'll be there in about five minutes."

She blessed her luck that Elijah lived near his work.

"Oki. I miss you so–"

She hung up. She took a deep breath and walked out the door. She wondered how exactly she was going to bite his head off.