Chapter 6

I had went to my companions believing they would find a good spot so we can drink in privacy. When I say privacy that didn't include Sneha, Priya and Agni at the same spot, same time.

All of us freeze on our place while Barun, Amit and Abhishek are desperately trying to hide the bags in which our drinks and snacks are. Drinking is not allowed in bengali marriages even through everyone does it behind the curtains. It's just nobody wants to acknowledge it.

"Ah! What a surprise!" Amit says his voice betraying his tone of excitement and the three girls stand across are as petrified as us. Regaining composure, Sneha says, "Ahahha. Yeah! Surprise!" even her voice doesn't sound much excited. Her thirty two teeth displaying how uncomfortable the situation is.

Both Sneha and Amit laughs with a awkwardness wrapped around them and we don't get the reason why. But then I notice, each of their hands have a beer bottle and Agni has another bottle that she hides behind her Orni. The white cap says it's vodka.

A grin replaces my frown.

It appears we all stumble at the same spot along with snacks which defeats the purpose of secrecy.

Right now, some of us stand with gaps in our mouths like they want to hide away from each other or simply disregard the fact that we don't know how the bottles are with us in our hands. A distance music plays from the pandal, 'Kuch na kaho... Kuch bhi na kaho...'¹.

Agni turns to Sneha with a glare and Priya seems like she would've thanked the ground if it could swallow her whole. Sneha's eyes drift everywhere but us. Likely, she's finding something to say then she finally says, "Ah! Well..."

Jatin's eye brows shoot up to the sky and Dev says, "Err... You guys can take the spot."

Barun, Amit, Kingshuk and Abhishek however, grins and Amit suggests, "While we're at it, why don't we enjoy the moment together?"

As much as I like drinking with Agni, I feel like I don't like everyone else shares a private moment with her. On the other hand, her flustered face says that she wants privacy.

Agni shoots daggers at Amit but says nothing while Sneha agrees who doesn't really care to ask whether Agni and Priya wanted to drink with us or not, "Yeah, why not?"

Agni's head snaps at Sneha and she is about to say something but Sneha has already sat down with Amit while Dev, Jatin and I remain stood with no clue what should we do now.

Agni turns at me, her eyes pleading and her cheeks red but I shrug and she sits down as well, Priya following suit.

The place is perfect as it's surrounded with trees and the big stones on the ground are great to lean on. The pandal's colourful lights peek through the wild bushes makes the place dimly lit which is why they have selected this spot as well.

While Sneha and Amit start their rituals of flirting and occasional special-glances, I notice Priya is giving Jatin a few shy glances then sipping through her beer. Her face is already red with embarrassment now the drinks are adding more colours to it. What I haven't noticed Jatin is also giving Priya some sort of looks. His emotionless face can fool anyone.

Dev is flustered beside me as there is Agni with us. Normally, he's the one who talks rubbish after a few shots and that's why he has taken only two shots of whiskey. His situation is pathetic, as he cannot drink freely with the female companions who he has met just today and if he drinks uncontrollably, next day, they won't even look at him. And he can't have shots freely in his own brother's wedding makes the situation more pathetic than Barun's married life.

Agni sighs and murmurs, "That's enough!" and her cold gaze finds my black ones. I raise a brow and she finishes her beer in one go while everyone looks at her in amusement.