Chapter 16

Hey, how you guys are doing? This was durga puja festival so, I could not update the story...
Hope you enjoy it and please leave some comments as I love to read your reactions... XD

"Adi uth!" (Wake up) I groan, rolling over in my slovenly sheets as the sunlight hisses at my face.

"Adi, c'mon yaar!"

The blanket is pulled up from my lazy skin and I cover my face with the pillow.

"Agni is here..." Angshu wishpers.

I wake as if it's an emergency, as if sleeping has become a dangerous thing. My heart beats fast and there is a buzzing in my brain. I sit up and my head crashes with Angshu's jaw. We both groan.

"What the..."

As I rouse from a heavy slumber I am first aware of the coolness of the air and it's loamy fragrance, and there's definitely no sign of Agni.

"What? Do you really think Agni will come here with her fractured ankle?" he asks taking his jaw in both of his hands and wincing with stinging pain but that smirk doesn't fall away from his lips.

I narrow my eyes at him as his smile broadens and he winces at the same time.

"I wasn't expecting her to be here, anyway," I mumble.

"Oh! Weren't you?"

Without replying him, slowly but surely, I push myself out of bed, letting my feet hit the cool floor as yesterday's exhaustion catching up to me. I take a look at my phone and it says it's 9 a.m. I've slept for only five hours. A yawn leaves from my mouth as I stretch my body. Kolkata's winter mornings contain delicate cold and dry breeze with pollution however, in just few hours it will become humid and warm.

"Well, everyone seems to be talking about you two."

I freeze so does my yawn. "What?"

He shrugs, "Like, you two are spending a lot of time together, and giving short glances and all..."

"Tha-that's utter hogwash!" My voice betraying the confidence as I take my clothes and towel from the cupboard hoping he hasn't witnessed the growing redness on my cheeks, and leave the room while Angshu smirks behind me.

When I go through the corridor I hear approaching giggles with a familiar rose scent and I halt. The voices are familiar so I peek at them and see two women stand beside the railing while one has a big plaster on her leg. It's Trayi and Agni.

Agni's eyes fall on me as I see she's wearing a yellowish-pink patiwala suit* like morning's vivid light extends across a rosy sky. My mood brightens and the dizziness of sleep evaporates with her smile like summer rain evaporates from the burnt soil. Her dark hair falls down around her shoulders in a glossy curtain. Still wet from shower and my heart plays hundred guitars together.

'O haseena zulfowali jaane jahan...'¹ plays behind me and brings me back to reality. I turn to the source with a frown and it's Angshu playing the song in his phone, giving me a sheepish grin.

"What? It's my favourite song!" He shrugs and go down the stairs. I shake my head. He's getting on my nerves.

"Hi..." Agni says and I turn my attention to her as I give a nod.

"How's your leg?"

"Great, I guess."

Trayi beams with curiosity. Her eyes are flicking between us, an interest appears in them, however, she clears her throat, "Well, I'm going to go to Bratati as she'll be starting to cook. I'll just help her." She dashes off, giving me a wink which Agni hasn't noticed.