Chapter 8

The marriage rituals are almost completed only remaining two three which will be happening after sunrise, in the morning.

Now the bride and the groom sit on their floral decorated chairs and we all congratulate them while a few persons give them gifts. The whole room fills with greetings and the light music of the boxes.

"Let's go eat dinner, Aditya!" Barun says to Dev almost sounding enthusiastic while a suspicious gaze scrutinise him. Kanachana comes behind him, her hands over hips.

"Did you drink?" She asks and Barun stiffens in his place, all of his euphoria drains through his legs to the ground.

"Err... No! How could I?" He shakes his head like a child is being questioned if he has stolen a cookie from the jar.

She looks him up and down then nods before going away to greet the couple.

He huffs, "God! I was almost caught!"

I give him tight grin, "You actually are already caught, my friend."

"Eh? Why?"

"Your glass is upside down and you were talking with Dev while calling him by my name."

A frown appears on his face then he gulps, "Oh shit!"

Chuckling I go to the table and secure a chair as Dev, Jatin and Amit joins. Barun, Kingshuk and Abhishek take the next table beside us.

When the caterers serve us our food which is Radha Ballavi, daal makhni* and salads for our first course, Agni enters with Sneha and Priya.

I glance at her and gives her a curt nod which she returns and the light music fades into a romantic song, 'Chura liya hai, Tune jo dil ko... Nazar nehi churana sanam.'¹ (you've already stolen my heart, don't trick me and go away, my love)

She takes her seat across our row and begins to chat with her companions while I turn my head, a small smile still tugs on my lips. However, when I find a series of narrow eyes are directed at me, it evaporates.

"What?"

"I thought you molested her but she's not offended. What did you do?" asks Amit tapping his feet under the table. His eyes narrow down to the slits as if he is Byomkesh Bakshi*.

"I thought you are already with Sneha."

"I am. I'm just curious." He shrugs.

"I didn't do anything." I begin to chew Radha Ballavi but my belly backflips a few times as I have made progress. A little, perhaps.

I bite my lower lip to stifle a grin.

Maybe a bit more than little...

The caterers serves us polao* and mutton and there are hardly any more place left on my plate. As I am busy with adjusting the polao, a tap diverts my concentration from my food.

I tilt my head to the side in annoyance and find a Golden orni. I groan inward. It is Shanaya. Now my annoyance reaches ten times higher to the dark sky above us.

"After dinner, can you hold the seats for us?" She asks, batting her fake eyelashes and voice as sweet as honey and I cringe my nose at her lavender scent. It wasn't that strong a few hours ago like now.

I look over her shoulders. There are another two girls with her, there faces brightens as our gazes fell on them and they start their usual -- which is as awkward as it seems as they are standing middle of the route and the caterers are waiting behind them in lines with big bowls on their shoulders -- flattering of their eyes and make their lips as if they are minions of Kim Kardashian.