Chapter 9

Jensen, Milo, and I sat around the television with our empty bowls set on the coffee table. It was on mute and we had been arguing about Oreos.

"The cookie is definitely the best part," Jensen stated.

Milo laughed. "N-no. Cream all the-the-the-the way." He sat on the floor with his back against the couch and his legs bent up with his arms resting on his knees.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed. "The cream is so much better!"

"But without the cookie there is no Oreo," Jensen argued.

I crossed my arms and pouted. He had a point. "Whatever." I slumped my shoulders.

He sighed. "Well, all this talk about Oreos is making me hungry. I'm going to head out and get some." He stood up and stretched.

"You just went out," I interjected.

"You're point?" He slid into his jacket.

I rolled my eyes. "Nevermind." Milo snickered. "When will you be back?" I asked.

Jensen shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe fifteen minutes." He grabbed his keys. "See you in a bit, hottie." He shut the door and left Milo and me behind.

I rubbed my eyes from exhaustion. "You don't have to sit on the floor, you know." I said to Milo.

"O-oh." He awkwardly moved up to the couch next to me. "R-right." He situated himself around the pillows and stared at the TV. It was silent for a while. "So... H-h-how long h-have you t-t-two been t-together?" Milo's cheeks puffed out.

I smiled at his familiar gesture until I comprehended his question. "What are you talking about?" I asked, my eyebrows raised.

Milo blushed and tried not to make eye contact. "Y-you and J-Jensen." he explained.

I snorted. "Me and Jensen? I think you've got the wrong idea." I laughed again. "We're not together. We've never been together." I leaned back, smiling.

"O-oh." He sighed.

Was that a sigh of relief?

"I-it's just that I thought y-you were to-to-together-er. W-with the-"

"Shared apartment and constant flirting?" I finished for him. He nodded. "Yeah, we get that a lot, but it's just how we've always been. Even when we first met."

Milo blushed and picked at a loose thread on his shirt. "O-Oh." He but the inside of his cheek. "S-so am I g-g-getting my clothes back?" he asked, brushing his hair back with his fingers.

I cocked my head to the side. "Hmmm..." I said, acting like I was thinking about it. "I don't think so. I like them."

Milo smirked. "O-ok." He exhaled slowly, closing his eyes, exhausted.

I stood up. "Do you want a shower?" I asked. "You've still got ice cream in your hair. I could get some of Jensen's old clothes for you to wear, but the pant legs might be a little short."

Milo nodded. "Th-thanks." He stood up and followed me as I lead him to the bathroom.

"Alright, the faucet is pretty easy to figure out and the shampoo is in the green bottle. And..." I grabbed a wash cloth from a shelf then took a towel. "Here you are."

"Th-thanks." He showed his crooked smile again.

I grinned then headed out of the bathroom, shutting the door. "And no reading in the shower!" I shouted, hitting the door. I heard Milo snicker.

I stalked off into Jensen's room and pulled a pair of sweatpants out of his dresser and a shirt from his closet. The shirt was a little tight on Jensen so I knew it would hug up against Milo. I smiled at the thought. I set the clothes on the couch in the living room then fell onto it, immediately welcomed by the soft cushions.

I almost dozed off until I saw Milo standing in front of me with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist, dripping wet. My jaw dropped. "Wow," I blurted out under my breath.

Milo was perfect. He was an intricately carved statue. Every edge had a purpose and every indent was there for a reason. He was a work of art.

Milo smirked, obviously pleased with my reaction. "A-Are those my cl-clothes?" he asked, gesturing to the shirt and pants next to me.

I recollected myself before nodding. "Yeah, here you are."

He smiled as he picked them up. He turned around as he headed back to the bathroom.

I saw the full scar. It started in the middle of his neck and ended between his shoulder blades.

"How'd you get that?" I asked.

Milo turned back to face me. "Wh-what?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

I sat up straight. "Um... The - uh - the scar on your back," I explained.

He nodded his head slowly. "R-right." He showed his familiar crooked smile. "I w-was playing hide - and - s-seek when I was-was-was l-little. I f-found an old sh-shed and crawled on top of it a-and f-fell through the-the-the roof. The sc-scar is the o-only th-thing I got from it." He turned red from embarrassment.

I tried my hardest not to laugh. "Wow, I thought you might have this really interesting story about how you saved a girl from an abusive boyfriend and was stabbed or some thing in the process."

Milo chuckled. "Y-yeah." He grinned then left to the room to change.

I stood up then decided to get the couch ready for Milo to sleep on. I grabbed a sheet from the linen closet and spread it across the couch. I found two blankets and a pillow then set them on the couch. "The couch is ready for you to sleep on!" I shouted to Milo.

I crept into the kitchen for a quick snack. I glanced over behind the microwave and spotted a small cardboard box. I cocked my head to the side and picked it up. It was the box of matches that Jensen's been hiding from me. I slid it open and took one out then lit it and watched as it burned up. I held it under the faucet then threw it away. I took out another match and struck it against the box.

"Freedom, no!"

I spun around, the match still in hand, and saw Jensen. "I swear I didn't do anything," I said quietly.

"Freedom, c'mon!" He blew out the match and ripped it from my grip then grabbed the box of matches from my hand and shoved them into his back pocket. "Don't even touch them!"

I stepped back, feeling even smaller than I usually do. "I'm sorry."

"Let me see your arms," Jensen demanded.

My eyes began to water. "Jensen, I told you. I didn't -"

"Let me see your arms!" His lips were pressed in a straight line and his eyebrows were raised.

I sighed as a tear fell down my cheek and stuck my arms out. "See?" I said, my voice almost breaking. "I didn't do anything."

Jensen examined my arms. Once he realized I was telling the truth, his face softened and he pulled me into a hug. "Freedom, I'm sorry." He kissed my forehead. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound so harsh."

I pursed my lips as tears started streaking down my face. I pulled away from him and walked out of the kitchen, wiping my eyes.

"F-Freedom?" Milo asked.

I pushed past him and slammed my bedroom door shut.