~4~

As soon as the pair of women was past the threshold of the mansion, Regina wiggled stubbornly out of Emma's grasp, almost pushing her forcefully away. But Emma didn't miss the wince of pain that flashed across the mayor's face that accompanied their parting.

The dull green tint was back in Regina's fingertips and the brunette was bent slightly at the waist, like someone who was desperately trying to hide the fact that they had a terrible stomachache. The mayor's hand clutched hard at her peacoat as she sucked in a breath to straighten herself back up, her mask of calm indifference sliding into place just as Charming stormed through the doorway. Snow caught the door before it slammed on its hinges and closed it quietly behind her in order to keep out curious eyes.

The prince thundered across the entryway, rapidly descending on the Evil Queen until he was inches from her face, the vein in his forehead threatening to burst.

"What the hell is going on, Regina? I demand answers now!"

His intimidation tactic appeared to not have the desired effect for Regina simply stood her ground and barely blinked at his closeness, her unwaveringly composed exterior undoubtedly maddening to Emma's fuming father. The woman actually had the audacity to look mildly bored at his outburst.

"As leader of this town I have a right–!"

"A right?" Regina scoffed. "David, you have never had a right to anything in my possession, and that includes my business."

The sheriff had the vague feeling that these two had done this dance many times before, albeit nearly a lifetime ago and in a very different place. Charming looked like he wanted to punch Regina in the face.

"James, calm down. Yelling at her will get us nowhere."

Regina's voice practically dripped with condescension, "Very good, Mary Margaret. I see your regal upbringing is finally kicking in, though it has certainly taken you long enough to remember how to act in the presence of a Queen."

Snow's face hardened at the insult and Regina merely smirked, knowing she had struck a nerve. An uncomfortable tension filled the air and Emma swore that she could almost feel their combined hatred hanging over them like a blanket of lead, the silence deafening in the echoy entryway.

When Snow finally spoke again it was in a tone so controlled it almost lacked emotion, and what little emotion did leak through made her voice imperceptibly quiver with a barely restrained loathing, "Regina, we have been entrusted with the protection of this town and its inhabitants. And given the little firework display we just witnessed in your front yard, we need you to tell us what's going on."

"In this I, unfortunately, am in the dark, same as you," Regina replied begrudgingly. "But from what I can deduce by the amount of green fumes I seem to be producing, it would appear that this is some kind of aftereffect of the death curse I absorbed on your behalf." She pierced the schoolteacher with a look that could have thrown daggers. "No need to thank me," she added flippantly.

Snow's face instantly softened. That woman was easier to manipulate than clay clutched inside a child's fist. "So Henry's tale was true? Regina, I am so–"

"Don't you dare touch me, Miss Blanchard."

The gentle hand that Snow had placed on Regina's shoulder rocketed off of the mayor at the sharp shock it received, its owner momentarily stunned by the blinding flash of green light that had accompanied the movement. Snow yelped in pain and shrunk back away from the brunette, cradling her injured hand close to her chest.

Although anyone in their right mind would have expected this kind of a response from Regina, Emma didn't miss the fleeting look of surprise that glanced across the mayor's face. Regina hadn't meant to hurt her; the shock had been an accident. But the look was gone in less than a nanosecond and was once again replaced with the stony and taunting mask of the Evil Queen.