~12~

Aimless fingers were trailing through her hair.

Chipped-polish fingernails grazed her scalp in calming patterns, weaving methodically through her short, brown locks only to let the strands fall back towards her face, rhythmically keeping time like a metronome. Occasionally one of the digits would get caught in a tangle and the hand would still for the briefest of moments to tug out the knot. It then would resume its leisurely task as if it had never been disrupted in the first place.

Regina cracked open a bleary eye. She was sprawled haphazardly half-on top of the Savior, who was currently lounging on her back with her eyes closed. One of the mayor's arms had wrapped itself greedily around the blonde's waist while her left leg had hooked over the nearest hip, settling her olive-tanned thigh neatly in between both of Emma's creamy ones. Her head was nestled snuggly against the sheriff's shoulder; her lips barely brushing against the crook of a pale neck.

And suddenly Regina's nerves were on sensory-overload, overwhelmed with everything Emma. The blonde was everywhere at once: she was the breath ghosting over the top of her head, the leftover taste still in her mouth, the scent of the skin she was pressing against...

Oh her skin.

All of the soft skin that Regina was touching was thoroughly distracting.

The brunette blinked rapidly as she tried to remember how exactly she'd gotten here. The Queen had lost count as to how many times she and the Savior had conquered each other after about the fifth or so orgasm they'd shared... so she figured that it was safe to assume that after one of their more intense escapades she had simply fallen asleep.

How embarrassing.

Regina lifted her head to take in the stunning creature beneath her and at the movement, the hand threading through her hair fell limply against her shoulder.

Emma's princess curls were fanned out around her head like a crown, shimmering with gold against the perfect porcelain skin that was practically glowing in the dying light of the day. It was the calmest that the Queen had ever seen the Savior look, so peaceful and serene in her slumber that Regina couldn't help but think that she looked like a portrait straight out of a fairytale. It was the kind of image that made you want to kiss her.

Heavy eyelids remained closed, hiding the alluring jade she knew lay beneath them from sight. The Queen's gaze passed idly over the cute button nose to land on the blonde's demanding pink lips, which out of nowhere twitched upwards into a playful grin.

"Good morning, Your Majesty."

Regina started at the unexpected voice and Emma smirked at her, now peeking at the Queen from under a hooded eyelid, "I could feel you staring at me."

The mayor quickly regained her composure and looked down at the blonde snootily, "It's nearly evening, Ms. Swan. Your greeting is hardly appropriate."

Emma rolled her eyes and scowled. "You really are always this difficult, aren't you?"

It somehow didn't seem like a question.

Regina huffed indignantly and blew a puff of air upwards to try and sweep her tousled bangs out of her face without using her hands. She was extremely unsuccessful and Emma held back a chuckle at the adorable pout now poking out from underneath the ruffled brunette bob.

The sheriff tenderly brushed the messy strands from the Queen's face and tucked them behind her ear, grazing the brunette's elegant cheekbone with the back of her hand before letting her palm fall back to its resting place against Regina's shoulder.

The mayor's face immediately sobered at the intimate gesture, her eyebrows inclining towards each other slightly as she considered the woman splayed beneath her.