~10~

The silence in the car was charged with unspoken words but neither woman dared to break the unsettling quiet that had permeated the enclosed space. There were just too many things that could make this situation awkward and it was better just to ignore their existence all together.

Like the fact that Regina was wearing Emma's jacket.

Just as the pair had reached the squad car, the unfortunate freezing aftershocks of the curse had started to plague Regina's form, wracking her with violent shivers that made her stumble a little and fall into the side of the vehicle for support. Emma had wordlessly shrugged off her jacket and hung it around the Queen's shoulders as if she had done this every day of her life, fitting it snugly against the brunette's blazer and rubbing her biceps briefly in an attempt to restart her circulation. The blonde had then opened the car door for her and with an extended hand, ushered the mayor regally into the passenger seat.

They were also blatantly ignoring the expressions on each other's faces.

Emma, for her part, was doing her best not to notice the soft hiccupping sniffles that the brunette was trying to stifle as she attempted to collect herself. Most of them were clouded by the mayor's chattering teeth, but occasionally a rebellious emotion would crack through her voice and Regina's eyes would flick anxiously towards the sheriff as she tried to steel her face back into one of mild disinterest. Emma never looked.

Likewise, Regina was actively trying not to watch as the blonde tirelessly worked her jaw into a frenzy, surely grinding her teeth into a dusty paste. She certainly wasn't aware of the internalized rage gleaming in the sheriff's eyes as she stared intently out of the front windshield, just like she refused to notice how tightly Emma's fingers were gripping the steering wheel, her knuckles bleaching white in the effort to hold in her fury.

And they were most definitely ignoring the fact the Emma was still holding Regina's hand.

The blonde's left hand was busy driving while the mayor's right was content to clutch a leather coat that was not her own about her neck, but it seemed as though the other two had found each other again: Emma's stretching gracefully over the top of Regina's until their fingers were loosely laced together, the sheriff's thumb tracing aimless patterns across the brunette's skin.

Yes. They were definitely ignoring that.

Regina unlocked the door to the mansion and the deadbolt sounded like thunder in the echoing entryway, but the mayor pretended that she wasn't as on edge as she felt and sauntered through the entrance with purpose. The brunette slid the blonde's jacket off of her shoulders in one smooth movement and hung it in the closet like it was the most natural thing in the world.

She couldn't decide whether to feel appalled or overjoyed at the domesticity of it all.

Emma shut the front door and Regina closed the closet. And then they just stood there. Staring at each other.

Neither of them had any idea what to say.

What do you say to the woman who stole your son from you and then saved your life? How do you say thank you without feeling like you owe her something in return?

What do you say to the woman who has hated you since the moment her son picked you over her? How can you say I'm falling in love with you without her feeling like its some cruel sort of joke?

Emma was very aware of the fact that she had not been invited into the mayor's house, but her jacket had been hung up and she hadn't been chastised for anything yet, so the blonde assumed that this was Regina's way of accepting her public proposal to talk. After all, she'd apparently been willing to show up at the diner to meet with Emma the first time…