Chapter 2 - sure, just one

Back to school was interesting enough - what with that bloody Harry Potter getting himself in the middle of things at the world cup yet again (I mean who was surprised) - Natalia was just hoping for some form of normality this year.

No such luck. With the tri-wizard tournament taking place at Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang residing with them, things were sure to go stupendously wrong at some point in the year.

"Trust me," she whispered to Draco, trying not to let anyone else hear, "at the end of the year shit will hit the fan and Harry Potter is going to be in the centre of it all. Just you wait and see."

She could tell a few other students were trying to listen in on her hushed words by their confused glances, but it wasn't anything Natalia wasn't used to. Being a half-blood and friends with a Malfoy? She must have some guts. Never mind daring to be a Slytherin. That being said, it was in her blood, and while she was sick of living in her mother's shadow as a child, it was starting to grow on her as she realised the endless opportunities it had given her.

"Potter always has to be in the centre of everything. He's a bigger drama queen than you are."

Natalia slapped his arm, glaring at his laughs, tucking into the meal before them.

The two of them sat quietly and finished their meals before standing and leaving to go to the astronomy tower, their own private welcome-back tradition. It started in their second year, when Natalia was feeling alone and scared after the summer she'd had, and Draco had scoured the entire school looking for her, taking him nearly all night.

She sat on the windowsill, looking down on the grounds and the black lake where the Durmstrang boat was anchored. "I still don't get the whole world cup fiasco. Bit of a poor attempt at anything apart from terrorising kids if you ask me."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Did you cast the charms?"

Natalia chuckled, quickly casting a silencing charm around them, as well as a few other (maybe illegal) curses and charms to keep their conversation safe from eavesdroppers. "Now I have."

"Dad said they would try and find the Dark Lord but I feel they only did it because they knew he'd never be there. Deep down I think they're all nervous about what will happen when he comes back."

"I can tell you exactly what will happen."

Draco scoffed. "Yeah because your mum was so right in everything she said and did regarding Him."

She shot him a warning glance. "You and I both know she was blinded by faith. I will not make that mistake, and I'll be damned if you do too."

Draco was silent to that. He knew she was right, but at the same time, he wasn't sure he even wanted her to stop him if it came to it. It was risky, standing up to the Dark Lord, though he didn't doubt Natalia really would tell him no, he wasn't about to risk his life for her. "Natalia you are-"

"Stubborn, hard-headed, reckless-"

"Actually I was going to say you're like the sister I wish I never had." He laughed at her face, grabbing her arm and quickly pulling her back as she nearly slipped off the ledge. "But yes, you're all of the above."

Nat smirked. "You really do know how to break a girl's heart."

He turned red, muttering under his breath, so Natalia turned her attention to the room, where she saw the unmistakable blur of red hair.

"Draco." She hummed. "We're being watched."

He sneered, "Weasleys."

Calmly, they removed the charms and curses, making sure to disguise which ones they'd used as they were definitely against the rules, and stood with their backs to the window.

"Well if it isn't the infamous Weasley twins. You'd think after four years they'd know not to listen in on our conversations." Natalia laughed bitterly, casting revelio under her breath to show where they were stashed.

Draco took a breath, trying to remain composed. "I don't think they quite know how strong your jinxes can really be. Care to demonstrate?"

Natalia laughed again, pulling the twins out from their hiding spots.

"Ah come on Nat, it's just a bit of fun!" Fred grinned at her, though he couldn't quite distract her from whatever George had set off behind his back. With less than a second to spare, Draco cast a protection spell around the two of them just as a stink bomb was projected in their direction as well as about a tonne of red and gold glitter and powdered paint.

Nat blinked, not entirely sure how Draco had cast the charm so quickly, but the disappointed look on the twins' faces was good enough.

"Thanks." She sighed with relief.

Draco smiled. "Makes up for when you saved me that one time."

"Sure, just 'one'." Natalia scoffed.