chapter 25 - the end of fourth year

Natalia sat in the stands staring out over the maze, eyes completely blank. She knew what her mother had meant now, with Cedric dead, Harry Potter screaming about the Dark Lord's return...

There was no hope for her any more and she knew it. Now Voldemort was back, soon enough Azkaban would be broken, the Death Eaters would roam free, and she'd be back in the clutches of her mother. She didn't know what she was going to tell her father-
He probably wasn't at risk so long as she cut contact with him, hid him from her mother... It wouldn't be easy, he'd have to move house, find a new job.

She could feel Draco watching her from somewhere out of sight, keeping a close eye on her. Nat knew he was just being cautious, making sure she was ok, but it infuriated her because she knew he'd be there, watching over her, making sure she wasn't about to commit treason or some other dumb illegal act. All the teachers would be watching her now, scrutinising her every move, infiltrating her owls too, probably. It was no secret what her mother had done, how she'd done it-

The dagger was still wrapped, hidden in the false bottom of her trunk. It would need to be charmed, transfigured into something else probably. And she'd need to keep it away from her mother for everyone's sakes.

She watched as Draco's silhouette disappeared, finally going back to the Slytherin common room. Natalia hoped he was satisfied she was going to be ok, but she knew he'd constantly be checking in on her over the summer.

"You're still here?" One of the twins sat next to her - Fred. She looked around, spotting George standing a few feet away.

Natalia nodded. "Tell George he can come and join us."

He did, and George sat on the opposite side of her. "We never knew you could tell us apart. Until this year."

"My-" She cleared her throat, "my dad's an identical twin. I know what to look for. Besides, you two made my life hell for three years, hiding around every corner I went, I spent most of my time glaring at the two of you."

George cracked a smile. "You know, if you're scared about his return, you could always come and stay with us."

"Yeah, we could dye you ginger, no one would notice." Fred joked, but none of them felt much like laughing. "I think everyone's a little worried and concerned."

Natalia didn't reply. There was nothing she could really say, and definitely not how she was more scared of her mother than of Voldemort. How this summer she'd be busy rehoming her father, hiding him as best as she could, so her own mother, Daphne Rosier, didn't seek him out and murder him simply for being a muggle. So she just sat there in the twins' company, wondering if this was the last time she would be able to speak freely to them.