chapter 3 - astronomy tower

Natalia glared at Draco across the table. "You could show a tiny bit of respect, lord knows what you'd have done had you been there."

He glared right back, "he walks around like he owns the place, what do you want me to do, take it lying down?"

"No," Natalia stood, pushing her plate away, jerking out of Blaise's arm, "because the only one who walks around like that is you, Draco, and you can't even see it." She walked away, not entirely knowing what she was doing, but took a seat at the end of the table. She wasn't sure where that outburst had come from, she wasn't even sure if she wanted to know, but nTa had said what she said and there was no turning back from it now.

"Natalia." Blaise stood awkwardly to the side o her.

"Go back to Draco. I don't want to talk to you."

He stepped back as if she'd slapped him. "Nat, come on-"

She laughed bitterly, "just go."

He looked confused, torn between staying and leaving, not knowing if there was a right answer. Natalia herself didn't know if there was a right answer; in all honesty, she didn't know if this was her breaking up with him or not, but she was sure they'd figure it out soon.

Dumbledore stood to address everyone in the usual way, not that Natalia ever listened, but things became more interesting when Fudge's little lapdog Delores Umbridge interrupted. Natalia smirked as she noted McGonagall's and snape's expressions, looking as though they were already tired of her bullshit.

She heard mutterings from Gryffindor table and giggled quietly when Umbridge gave whoever it was a pointed look.

"-that ought to be prohibited." She gave a little squeak at the end that made Natalia's hair stand on end, and she shuddered to think what on earth the Ministry had in store of Hogwarts. It was bad enough them trying to discredit Potter and Dumbledore, especially when half of the ministry itself seemed to be made up of Death Eaters, not to mention their complete loss of control of the dementors.

Natalia finished pudding quickly, leaving quietly, making sure no one saw her sneak out. Even if Malfoy was pissing her off, it wouldn't stop her from going to the Astronomy tower to think everything through. Her emotions were a wreck, Natalia would admit, but the outburst at Draco? Not really her style.

She sat and stared out over the grounds.

The welcome back quidditch game was postponed until the next night, what with... well, everything, some students were still trying to settle into the new routine of switching between the mentalities of being terrified that Voldemort was actually back and thinking Potter was a liar.
Natalia had, of course, spoken with Ravenclaw and some Slytherins, and they'd all agreed to invite the rest of the school, to try and lift everyone's spirits and keep tensions down. Whether it would work or not was a different matter.

She stared down, watching her feet dangle over the edge.

"Might want to rethink jumping off the tower."

"Don't think it would be good for your health."

"Weasleys." Natalia didn't look up. "What can I do for you?"

"Heard your outburst at the table. Wondered if you wanted us to do anything about both of them."

Natalia smiled, but it wasn't a pleasant one, rather something created from malice. "I read your advertisements in the Daily Prophet. Skiving snackboxes sound good."

"That wasn't in the papers." They exchanged glances.

"No? My bad." She shrugged, jumping down from the ledge into the safety of the tower.

The twins' eyes widened. "You? You're a Prefect?"

Natalia glanced down at the badge. She'd forgotten she was a prefect, in all honesty. Wasn't something she particularly cared about. "Yeah. Bit boring really, don't want the responsibilities, might skip out on them."

"Even with Umbridge?"

"Especially with Umbridge." Nat laughed.

Fred and George gave each other uneasy glances. "The Ministry-"

"You mean, Fudge."

"Needs to stay out of our school."

Nat grinned, knowing the answer to her question before she even had to ask. "So what, you're going to make her life here a living hell?"

The twins grinned, "of course." It still freaked her out when they spoke in sync. She didn't think she'd ever get used to it.