chapter 23 - muggle tricks?

Keeping secrets from people was usually pretty easy for Natalia. Until she had to keep a secret from Draco Malfoy.
Despite outward appearances and literally everyone thinking he was obsessed with Potter, he really couldn't care less about him half the time. Which did, unfortunately, mean his focus was on her.

Well, not solely on her, but Natalia had a guilty conscience so it might as well have been

And as for Blaise...
Nat knew he could tell there was something slightly off with her, and she wasn't sure how much longer he'd stay quiet on the matter.

George, however, seemed to be completely unconcerned about lying to everyone, including his twin brother Fred.
"It's not lying, Natalia, it's an omission of truth." He'd argue. "Besides, I'm just tutoring you on charms. And in exchange, you occasionally cook up some more of that weird amortentia thing."

"It's not amortentia if you replace half the damn recipe."

And then they'd argue and Natalia would sigh, lying on the sofa, completely giving up with trying to figure out what to do with herself.
But George would always be there the next day, ready to have the argument again - could she call it an argument if she was the one constantly finding loopholes while he waited patiently for her to finish talking herself into a hole, sometimes offering counterpoints? Whatever it was, he'd always show up the next day ready for it, sometimes with potion ingredients, sometimes without, but always with his mischievous grin and way too long hair.

Natalia still hadn't plucked up the courage to give the twins the money for the shop yet - it wasn't much, only three hundred galleons, but it would help, she hoped. Maybe she could give it to them as a birthday present.
Besides, Fred was still well aware she was helping them, he just didn't know how familiar she and George had become, which was why she was surprised when Fred turned up along with George, both looking a little nervous.

She felt her breath stick in her throat, her lungs closing, and wondered for a second if this was it, if they were going to have it out with her for... well, everything.

"Well well well,"

"If it isn't Natalia White." George grinned, but she didn't respond, simply opened the door for them and followed them into the Room of Requirement.

"Is this an ambush or...?" She raised an eyebrow, arms crossed.

Fred grinned, shaking his head. "We just wanted to discuss with you some other potential products. Who better to ask than our own secret partner."

Natalia rolled her eyes, grateful it wasn't anything major. "Ok, what's up?"

George glanced at Fred, unsure of himself. "We were wondering - seeing as you're a half-blood with probably more knowledge of the muggle world than we do - do you know of any muggle tricks? Like, we researched some of it, but we can't figure out how any of it works."

Nat grinned, eyes shining. "So, I don't mean to brag, but my father taught me quite a few card tricks, a bit of sleight of hand... that sort of thing. Why, I don't know because wands exist, but I can probably still do it." She shrugged, emptying her pockets.

Natalia sighed, crunching a few hazelnuts before transfiguring the bag into a deck of muggle cards. "Ok, let's see what I can remember."