chapter 2 - counting down

Natalia felt like throwing up her eggs when she read the Daily Prophet's newest story dragging Harry Potter and Dumbledore through the mud. It was all she could do to keep her mouth shut about it, especially in front of Lucius.

"I'm off," She heard his voice from the hall outside, "Potter's hearing is soon."

There wasn't much to overhear in the Manor, everything spoken in hushed voices behind heavy doors that were always locked.
But she'd heard all about the dementor attack, about Potter's hearing... It was hard not to really, with Death Eaters in and out every day, even Lucius bragging about how he'd got the Minister of Magic wrapped around his finger, how it was easy to convince him Harry Potter was trouble and Dumbledore was trying to undermine him-

Natalia just hoped it swung in Harry's favour. She didn't dare to think about what would happen if it didn't.

"Nat!" Draco placed a hand on her shoulder, pulling her out of her whirlwind of thoughts. "Come on, we need to talk."

She pushed her plate away, leaving the paper lying on the table, following him to a small office-type room. He locked the door behind them, activating the silencing charm. They weren't supposed to know how to do it, but Draco had been sneaking around the manor or years, figuring it out too early, Nat thought.

"Did you manage to get your dad...?" He didn't finish the sentence, but he didn't need to.

"Yeah. Took a bit, but he's gone, I don't know where."

Draco nodded. "It's only a matter of time before- well. Mum says you're more than welcome to stay here, even when-"

"Sorry, can we..." Natalia looked at him, not really sure how to get her words out but he seemed to understand either way.

"Of course." He sat in a chair, making himself comfortable, propping his feet on the desk with a sly grin. "Can I ask a question?"

Nat raised an eyebrow and gave him a half nod.

"Why are you still with Blaise when you're still in love with George?"

Wanting nothing more than to wipe that smirk off his face, Natalia glared at him. "I am not, nor have I ever been, in love with George Weasley."

Laughing, he asked, "But why are you still with Blaise? You're not happy and it's messing with your head."

"Yeah, that's what's messing with my head." She rolled her eyes at him, sitting heavily in the other chair, pulling her feet up. "But probably because I know my mother will approve. And your parents-"
Draco gave her a look.
"-Father," She corrected, "approves. And in the mess that's about to arrive on our front doorstep, God knows I need it."

"I don't approve."

"That's because, in spite of appearances, you don't care about status, blood or otherwise."

Draco didn't look pleased that Natalia had called him out but just shook his head at her.

"Face it, you'd rather see me happy with bloody Harry Potter than unhappy with... well, anyone."

Laughing, he said, "maybe not Potter. A Weasley I can just about handle."

Natalia grinned. "Cause you looove me!" She teased, watching him roll his eyes turning to face her with a dead-eyes stare. "You, the cold-hearted, blue-blood Draco Malfoy actually care about me!"

"Not for much longer with that attitude."

She pouted at him, before inevitably breaking into giggles. "I suppose maybe you're alright too."

He smirked as if he already knew how great he was, even if he knew Nat knew better.

**

Draco and Natalia learned very quickly that Harry Potter had won over the Wizengamot. It was kind of hard to miss, what with Lucius ranting and raving about it as soon as he stepped through the door.

The two exchanged glances before retreating to Natalia's room.
It used to be one of the many guest rooms, but when she'd spent the summer after second year there, Narcissa had given it to her permanently, even decorating it as Natalia wanted.

Draco sat on the bed, twirling his wand in his hands. "He's going to be in a foul mood now."

"He's in a foul mood more often than not these days, Draco." Natalia retrieved their list from the lining of one of her coats, adding the three names of the witches and wizard who'd disappeared that week. "Besides, we're going back to Hogwarts in three weeks."

"Two weeks and six days." Draco corrected absentmindedly.

Natalia blinked. "Not that you're counting or anything."

He looked at her and laughed, "it's going to be an interesting year, that's evident at least."