Then It Happened

She woke up from a sudden chill.

Her hands went to reach for her blanket, however, she felt a rough touch of what should have been her mattress. A sudden burn of a jabbing pain shot up her leg and she opened her eyes only to find herself outside, surrounded by trees.

Where am I?

She sat up yawning and stretching her arms. At the feel of extending her legs, she was reminded of the uncomfortable pain.

Is that a tree branch?

The sky was a light purple turning into day. She looked around but saw nothing upon hills and hills and more trees.

She stood in her flannel pajama pants and over-sized sweatshirt, embracing the soft feel of the grass under her bare feet. She rubbed her eyes hoping she had not yet awaken from her dreamy haze.

But her heart was pulsating quicker by the moment as fear filled her thoughts.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" she called out on instinct. The only response was the singing of birds.

"Is this a joke? A prank?" she laughed nervously. "You guys got me. You can take my embarrassing picture for the yearbook now."

She repeated calling out over and over, louder and louder, but there was no one in sight. She moved wherever her legs would carry her, anywhere really, hoping to see some sign of familiarity to relieve her anxiousness. As panic spread throughout her body, she felt tears burn at the edges of her eyes.

Then she heard something.

Heavy thudding from a distance.

It was neither a car, nor a plane.

Sounds of large animals approached and with much speed.

Horses?

Her legs ran before she could think twice, sprinting towards the sound in desperation.

She raced towards them only to find out that was the worse decision she could have ever made.