Chapter 3: Memory loss

Kirito's POV: 

I suddenly jerk up and pain jolts down my neck. I yelp in pain. I look up and my sister, Suguha and a girl with porcelain skin and chestnut hair is standing there, with a surprised but somewhat delighted expression. This scenario seems quite familiar, almost nostalgic, the white bedsheets and walls, and a nurse with a clipboard. I gather my thoughts but nothing comes to mind. I can't remember what I had been doing before being sent to the hospital. It's like there is a huge missing puzzle piece that I need to complete both my body and soul but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Onii-Chan! Suguha jumps at me and holds me in a tight embrace. I wince, my whole body feels incredibly sore and aches all over. Suguha notices my pained voice, pulls away, and gives me an apologetic look. The nurse tells me that I've been in a car accident and that I've been unconscious for a whole week. No wonder why I feel so weak. I could barely lift my limbs let alone sit upright. 

The girl with chestnut colored hair and hazel eyes is emitting a sweet strawberry scent, it seems very familiar. I wonder what she's doing here? maybe she's here to hand out homework that I've missed. I see Suguha motion the nurse to exit out of the room, the nurse follows her commands and Suguha follows suit, whilst quietly shutting the door. It feels a little awkward, the girl isn't saying anything and I have no idea who she is. How am I supposed to start a conversation? Before I could take the courage to initiate a discussion she embraces me with my head resting on her chest. I could feel my blood rushing to my cheeks. However, she starts sobbing.

Asuna: I'm sorry Kirito, please don't do that ever again, I don't know what I would've done if you have died. I forgive you Kirito, please just don't disappear again. 

Again? I have no idea what she's talking about, how am I supposed to approach such a delicate subject. I gently push her away but she looks hurt. 

Kirito: Um... sorry if this sounds rude, but do I know you?

Asuna: What Kirito, stop joking around, I'm Asuna, your girlfriend. 

No that can't be, there's no way she's my girlfriend, she is beautiful and very attractive but not exactly my type, I usually prefer quiet, modest and cute types. 

Kirito: Uh is this supposed to be a prank, my sister set me up didn't she. 

I thought she would join in with my laughter but instead, she has a horrified look on her face. She panics and calls in Suguha and the nurse. I hear her explaining the situation and Suguha's eyes grow in shock. 

Suguha: Kirito! Do you really not remember Asuna? What about Lizbeth, Silica, Sinon, Klien and Agil?

Kirito: nope, are they classmates?

I see the nurse muttering to herself while scribbling something on her clipboard. 

Misaki (nurse): Kirito, it seems like you're suffering from memory loss, I'm not sure if it's permanent but I'll need to consult this to the higher-ups. For now, sleep you'll need it. Suguha, Asuna, I'm afraid you'll need to leave, he needs to rest, you can come visit him tomorrow when he's discharged. 

They nod in unison and one by one reluctantly exit the room.

I pull covers over my body and try to sleep. I feel quite drowsy despite being in a coma for the past week. I close my eyes but fail to sleep. Every time my eyelids became sealed, I can hear a girl calling out my name but I can't make out who it is. Eventually I dosed off to sleep. 

*The next morning*

A shining light peered through the window, waking me from my slumber, it isn't unpleasant, rather it's a comforting warmth but is making my eyes twitch abnormally. I rub my eyes to get rid of the weird feeling and open them to a plain white room. I rotate and swing my arm two times, my body is still quite sore but not to the extent of not being able to walk. I carefully sit-up and tune in to the surrounding sounds, the sound of the birds tweeting and the slight ruffle of tree leaves creates such a calming scenario but of course like any imaginary place, I must eventually go back to reality.

Suddenly, the door swings open.

Mistaki (the nurse): Kirito! You're awake, I was just about to come wake you up, looks like I was too late.

Kirito: I just woke up, you missed me by a couple of minutes.

Misaki: looks like you're doing well, anyways, pack up your stuff and come meet me in the reception area. 

I nod in agreement and proceed to pack up my stuff. 

Once I finished I walked towards the door, once I open that door, my whole life will change, I exhale deeply and turn the knob. 

Chapter 3: end 

Hi guys, yes two chapters in one day! sorry if it's rushed. I might not be able to upload for a while so I thought I would write two chapters. Bye!

- Lila