Chapter 6: Locked In

There was a moment of silence as we all tried to figure out what to say.

What could we say.

"When are they going to let us out?" Sue asked.
Me and a few other players shrugged. Suddenly I had an idea. "Wait," I walked around the table and grabbed Tom, Sue, Jillian, and Nick, "Follow me."

Although I only meant for those 4 to follow me, all 22 of us made our way over to the comms room. I knocked firmly on the door.

To my surprise, the door opened to the same intern who'd opened the door for me.

Instead of just the ghosts going in, we all went in.

This was the only place I knew for sure there were employees.

The small space was cramped with all 22 of us and the 5 employees.

"What's going on?" I demanded.

The employee opened her mouth like a gold fish.

Then she said something that was slightly muffled by my helmet and the way she murmured.

Screw it.

I took off my helmet, "Will someone tell me what the hell is going on?!" I demanded.

The feble intern shrunk further into herself and seemed genuinely shocked I took off my helmet.
I hoped they'd keep their word and get me out.
One of the employees who was on the phone before we barged in calmly strode over to me. She smiled at where Tom, Sue, Jillian, and Nick stood. "You can get dressed in 'ghost' attire if you wish." She turned to me as a few other players ripped off their helmets.

Owen's POV:

I kept a straight face as Adeline ripped off her helmet, finally free from the communication barrier, she demanded answers.

Or so I assumed, I didn't really know as her words were muffled.

I gently removed my helmet (as did Shae, Mallery, Adam, Millie, Will, Chad, Emma, and Opal) Adeline was standing in a delecate, yet threatening pose, her long brown hair free from the stuffy helmet.

I cleared my throat quietly to cover my laugh at my poetic thoughts.

One of the employees I hadn't noticed walked up to Adeline, but instead of addressing her the stuffy lady smiled at Tom, Sue, Jillian, and Nick where she told them they could go get dressed in ghost garb.

That already didn't sound good.

"I'm afraid none of us know what's going on exactly. The power went out a few hours ago, and our only energy is coming from our power storage. We've tried to contact corporate with no luck."

"Why are we still here? Just unlock the doors and we can make our way out, can't we?" Adeline asked.

The employee sighed and rubbed her eyes with one hand, "Unfortunately the locks that hold the doors shut are powered by, well, power. We tried the manuel version, to no avail. So for the time being, we are all stuck."

"What about an emergency exit?"

"I have no idea where they are, if there are any. The only ones I am aware of are the exits on the other side of all the individual doors, however, they won't open without power."

"What about the stored power?"

"They didn't have the stored power hooked up to the automatic locks."