One: The Leaky Cauldron

As I followed my mother down the damp and gnarly alleyway of London I couldn't help but wonder to myself where in the world were we headed. All I was told was that we needed to go shopping for the list of school supplies that was included with my acceptance letter. I pulled the now crumpled piece of parchment out of my jackets pocket. 

I read over the first of the three lists on the piece of paper.

"Uniform

first year students will require:

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One Plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black silver fastenings)

please note that all pupils clothes should carry name-tags"

The list did not answer any of the questions going through my head, in fact it only added more. Dragons? I only just learned that magic was real, and now dragons? I was starting to believe that this was all some elaborate prank carried out by my parents, but knowing them that seemed unlikely. 

"Mom where are we going? This list  says I need clothing, shouldn't we be headed to a uniform store or something?" 

My mother then stopped in front of what seemed like an abandoned and run down old store front. The sign that seemed barley attached from the rusty chains that hung above the doorway read The Leaky Cauldron.  

"That's precisely were we're headed dear." My mother said as she opened the creaky old door.

I was half expecting the old building to be abandoned and smell of rot, but as I followed my mother through the doorway I was pleasantly surprised to find a quant little fireside pub. I gazed to the large wooden board on the wall and read the breakfast specials, all of them homely sounding. I gazed throughout the old pub and noticed a large cracked cauldron near the back of the building, I assumed that was the aforementioned Leaky Cauldron.

As my mother approached the old cobblestone and wooden counter, a man quickly popped up. He smiled like he had seen and old friend.

"Carol? Carol (l/n)? My goodness it's been ages since I've seen you round' here, it has! What brings you round to the old Leaky Cauldron today? Looking for some grub are you?" The old gruff bartender said cheerfully.

"I'm afraid not Tom, I actually need to head around back and do some shopping with (y/n) here, he's been accepted into Hogwarts." My mother kindly replied to the man.

"Oh my and look how grown up you look there little fella, you excited for your first year at Hogwarts?" Said the man.

"Yes sir."

"Well that's great! I better be getting back to work, doors out back, same as it used to be Carol, come back and see us again sometime." The man said as he went back to polishing glasses.

I followed my mother through the back door of the pub. As we walked out and headed into the small little alleyway in the back, we were met with a couple and a girl my age struggling to figure out where to go.

The girl turned around as we approached and I was able to get a clear view of her. She had long bushy brown hair and fair skin.  Her eyes were brown and her bangs fell right above her eyebrows. My cheeks felt a little warm upon seeing her.

"Excuse me mam!" the girls father said to my mother. "You wouldn't happen to know how to get to Dia-gon? Dia-gon Alley?" The man asked almost unsure of if he had pronounced the name correctly.

"Sure I do! Are you all new to London?" My mother asked.

"No, just new to all of these magic things I'm afraid" The girls mother replied.

"Oh your muggles then? I work in muggle studies for the ministry!" My mother said as she approached the brick wall. The muggle couple looking like they barely understood. "You don't see many Muggle-born witches or wizards around Diagon Alley." 

My mother then pulled out her ornate hawthorn wand my father had crafted, and began taping the bricks  around a damaged looking spot in the wall. As she touched the final brick with the end of her wand, the noise of stone against stone was heard, and the bricks began to rotate and shift to reveal a passage way to a entirely new street. Everyone but my mother looked on in astonishment.

"Thank Mrs. um, what was your name again?" the girls father asked.

"Carol(l/n), and this is my son (y/n)." my mother replied.

 "We're the Grangers" The woman said. "This is Hermione, we're here shopping for some school supplies. Hermione has just been accepted to Hogwarts."

Hermione smiled and waved at me, the way she smiled caused me to blush slightly.

"What a coincidence (y/n) here just got accepted to Hogwarts as well!"

" I don't suppose you would mind me asking a few questions about muggles while we all shop?" my mother asked. 

"Sure, we would definitely appreciate the shopping help. We don't really know what any of these things are." Mrs. Granger said as she looked over the supply list. Mrs. Granger then looked towards Hermione. "Hermione we are going to go with Mrs. (l/n) to find your school supplies. Stay out of trouble dear, and please be safe. Be sure to meet us back here in about an hour!" 

"Why don't you tag along with Hermione (y/n)?" My mother said. "Take some coins with you and go find buy your books." She said as she pulled  out a bag of golden coins and placed them in the palm of my hand.

"I uh, o-okay" 

Just like that my mother then walked with the Grangers down the street saying something about a bank called Gringots, and how they would have to exchange their muggle money for something usable.

I was left with Hermione outside the entrance to Diagon Alley, not knowing where to go, what to do, or what the strange feeling in my chest was when I looked at this girl.