Three: Book-worms

The clang of a shops bell could be heard as I entered Flourish and Blotts. The smell of parchment and ink wafted through out the air. 

I walked past the first section of books entitled Thrilling tales for young Witches and Wizards and headed straight for the textbook section. 

Upon reaching the isle I spotted several other children picking up books for the upcoming school year. I glanced past a display reading NEW Gilderoy Lockhart: Gadding with Ghouls. The way the man on the display smiled made him feel untrustworthy.

Ignoring the display I continued shopping for the books I needed. I had just picked up my copy of Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them when I heard a familiar voice call my name from behind me. 

"There you are (y/n), I was looking for you." Hermione said as she approached. "I'm sorry I was gone for so long, I had to find my parents to get some money to pay for my books."

"Oh you're fine! I was just collecting my required books." I replied as I pick up the last book I needed. "I'm actually thinking about picking up some extra books while I'm here. It never hurts to have some extra reading material."

"I was thinking about doing the same thing" Hermione chuckled. She paused before looking me in the eye. "I just wanted to say thank you again for paying for my wand. I should have remembered that my money wouldn't be any good here."

"It's nothing, I was glad to help." I said as I examined a book about quidditch while Hermione quickly gathered her books. 

We began walking to the checkout counter with our collection of reading material and textbooks. Hermione had picked up a few books by that Lockhart author and seemed to be very excited to read them, even referring to Lockhart himself as looking dreamy. That comment made me feel slightly jealous for a reason I couldn't explain.  

We exited the store after paying for our things. As we gazed through the crowded streets looking for any signs of our parents I looked down at what I had bought. Books on basic spells, a book of mythical creatures, and a book entitled Hogwarts a History. I peered up from my bag and scanned the surroundings with my eyes. I had no luck spotting our parents and it seemed Hermione was in the same boat. I however did spot what seemed to be some sort of Ice cream parlor.

"It looks like our parents are still shopping." I explained as I turned to Hermione. " I saw an ice cream parlor to the left if you want to get a snack."

"That sounds lovely, It would also help with the heat." reasoned Hermione.

We darted through the crowded street making sure to stay close as to not get lost. After a brisk walk we arrived at our destination. 

I peered up at the sign and read it aloud. "Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlor. I wonder what flavors they have."

"I would kill for something with strawberry in it." Hermione chuckled.

We walked through the doorway and were greeted by a tall man with long brown hair who I assumed to be Mr. Fortescue himself. I stepped towards the counter and looked at the large menu as I prepared to make my order.

 "I think I'll have a cone of the the Chocolate and Raspberry." I told Mr. Fortescue.

"And I think I'll have a cone of Strawberries and cream." Hermione added.

Hermione started to take out some coins, but I insisted on paying for her. She smiled and thanked me. We walked outside and sat down at one of the tables and talked as we ate our ice cream.

"So when did you learn you where a witch?" I asked Hermione.

"About three months ago. I received a letter in the male inviting me to Hogwarts. Originally my parents thought it was a prank, but one day a man saying he was from the Ministry of Magic arrived at our house and explained everything to my parents. I assume you've always known seeing as though your mother's a witch?" Hermione replied as she licked her cone.

"No I only recently found out. My Mom and Dad told me when we moved to London." I answered.

"Where are you originally from, if you don't mind me asking." Hermione questioned.

I shook my head as I licked my cone of ice cream. "My Mom moved to America about fourteen years ago. She met my dad there and they had me. So I've grown up in the states my whole life."

"That explains the accent." Hermione giggled

My face turned red as I responded. "I guess you don't hear to many American accents around here do you?" 

"Not really, but it's not a bad thing! I quite like it." Hermione smiled.

My face turned even redder at her statement. I turned my head to try and hide it, but to my surprise I was met with Hermione's parents and my Mom walking towards us. 

"Look at you two, already out on a date." Mr. Granger teased.

"Dad!" Hermione whined as her cheeks flushed.

"I was kidding! Now let's get going, we've gotten all of your school supplies here." Mr. granger then lifter what looked to be about four large bags.

Hermione and I stood up and began following out parents towards the exit of Diagon Alley.

"It was a pleasure to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Granger! Please stop by our house sometime for a cup of tea!" My mother said as we approached the exit.

"Certainly Mrs. (l/n), we would be absolutely delighted to!" Mrs. Granger replied.

I turned towards Hermione to say goodbye. "I had fun today, I guess I'll see you at school." 

Hermione smiled and nodded as she and her parents walked out the exit of Diagon Alley. I waved goodbye and smiled thinking about the fun I had today.