Two: Ollivanders

Hermione and I stared down the street in amazement. To the right seemed to be some sort of store selling supplies for a game called "quidditch". There were groups of boys and girls gathered in front of the shops window gazing in awe at what seemed to be a broomstick. Past this shop seemed to be a tailors, in the window I spied floating sticks guiding yarn into beautiful fabric as if it were a loom.

Hermione broke the awkward silence. 

"I suppose we should go and see about getting our wands."

"That sounds good by me" I replied.

We walked down the street towards a small black storefront with cylindrical windows to each side of the doorway. Above each window read the name Olivanders. I turned the brass knob and opened the door to the little shop, a bell ringing as I did so. I held the door for Hermione and quickly followed in pursuit. We walked past what must have been hundreds of dusty boxes on shelves each with a signature "O" at the end of the end of the box. Some boxes seemed long, some short. Others seemed tall, while others seemed small. 

I followed Hermione towards a large wooden countertop as an elderly man stepped off his ladder and walked towards the counter.

"Welcome to Olivander's maker of fine wands since 382 BC. I assume you both are looking for your first wands." The old man said kindly as he began looking through boxes behind him.

"Ah here we go." The man scurried back to his counter and passed a box to Hermione. "Let's see how this does. Birch wood 12 and 1/2 long with a Unicorn hair core."

Hermione gently picked the wand out of the box and looked towards the man as if for guidance on what to do now.

"Well give it a wave then." said the man

Hermione then pointed the wand at the shelves and did a quick flick of the wrist. Boxes began flying off the racks as the shelving began rattling violently.

"No no no, that won't do!" said the man as Hermione quickly placed the wand into the box.

"The wand chooses the Wizard you see!" The elderly man now moved his ladder and climbed near to the top shelf and pulled out a slightly shorter green box.

He climbed down the ladder carefully and walked back to the desk. He slid off the green top of the box and revealed an off white looking wand with what seemed to have engraved vines all around.

"Vine wood 10 and 3/4 long with a dragon heartstring core, let's see how this one does for you." the man said.

Hermione gently lifted the wand in the air and pointed it at the ladder. She gently flicked her hand as if to move the ladder towards the man. The ladder gracefully slid across the wooden floor boards and stopped gently behind the man.

"Ah I do believe we have found the wand for you!" The man said delighted. "Now what about you there." The man then looked me up and down quizzically trying to figure out what wand would possibly fit me.

The man then walked briskly behind a shelf mummering to himself about what to choose. I heard the sound of a ladder being pulled closer and saw the man climb about halfway up the shelving and pull out a blue box. The man then walked back towards us and placed the box in front of me.

I carefully slid the lid off the box and lifted the wand in the air. Suddenly boxes flew off the shelves and began spinning above the tip of my wand. Suddenly each box began reorganizing itself by color and length. Hermione and the man staring on in awe.

"Very rarely have I seen a wand so responsive to its user on the first use, and this being the first wand I've pulled out makes this even more astounding!" the man exclaimed.

I put the wand gently into its box. The man then bagged up both boxes and handed them to Hermione and I respectfully. I pulled out the bag of coins my mother had handed me and began paying for my wand. I saw Hermione looking at the ground nervously.  

That's right, she doesn't have any money with her. I thought to myself.

"I'll pay for hers as well." I said to the man.

He nodded and I looked back to Hermione, her face reddening at me paying for her wand.