Four: Nine and Three Quarters

Kings Cross Station was bustling with people, something not out of the ordinary as it was a central train station for the muggle-world. I shifted through the crowded station tailed by my parents trying to avoid bumping into anyone with, what to non-magical folk, seemed like a very strange collection of luggage. 

I Navigated his trolly through a crowd of bewildered businessmen looking at the suitcase with a caged owl on top. I knew that to  most a pet owl seemed absurd, but I had grown to rather enjoy the feathery companion my father had brought home. According to my mother owls were used as a sort of postal service to the wizarding world.

As I approached the brick wall my parents, I looked to them for instruction.

"When your ready you go right through the center. If you're nervous I would do a bit of a run." My mother explained. 

I nodded and gave my mother a hug, then turned to my father did the same. I placed my hands firmly on the trolly and braced myself.

"We'll see you at christmas son! Do you best and listen to your professors. Stay out of trouble!" My father shouted as I ran towards the wall.

I half expected to hit the wall and fall down with  a loud crash, but to my amazement there was no crash. I opened my eyes to gaze at the hustle and bustle of students mingling about where to sit on what seemed to be an old coal engine locomotive.

I peered through the crowds looking for an empty cabin but instead I spied a familiar face. Hermione was tucking her luggae away into an otherwise empty train cabin. I approached the girl with my trolley in tow. 

"Hey Hermione!" I said as my cart came to a stop.

"Oh hello (Y/N)." She smiled. 

"Would you mind if I joined you here, I don't really know anyone else here and it's a bit awkward." I admitted.

"I think that sounds lovely." Hermione replied happily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat in the seat across from Hermione after packing up my belongings. I peered around the carpetment at the wood and brass finishings as well as the red fabric of the seats. The train started to rumble as two whistles were heard. I guessed that meant we were departing.

"So what have you been up to since I last saw you." I asked Hermione.

The girl looked up from her book that she was reading. "Preparing for the school year, and reading up on magical history. That's about all really."

"Seems pretty similar to what i've been doing as well. My dad did take me to a quidditch game though. It was a bit hard to follow since I've never really heard about it." 

"I read a passage in Hogwarts a History about the founding of the schools quidditch teams, but I've not really delved into that subject." Hermione replied as she closed her book and sat it beside her.

"I read that book as well. The part about the houses was most interesting to me." I stated gazing out the window.

"I thought that was interesting as well. Do you have a particular house you hope to be sorted into?" Hermione asked.

"Well my mom wants me to be sorted into Hufflepuff since she was head girl while she went to Hogwarts, and my dad thinks the whole house idea is a bit strange as his school didn't have that sort of thing." I answered, Hermione snickering at the fact I pronounced mum as mom

"Personally I don't know. I don't think I'm a Hufflepuff, I'm a bit introverted and that causes me to be less friendly to people."

 "Gryffindor doesn't really fit me to much either, I'm don't go out of my way to be courageous or anything. I guess  that  leaves Slytherin or Ravenclaw." I stated with uncertainty.

"Well I personally wouldn't want to be a slytherin. There founder was obsessed with the idea of pure-blood wizards, and as a muggleborn I don't think I would be too welcome." Hermione admitted.

"If I had to choose I would either pick to be in Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. Ravenclaw seems to focus on academics and I think being around people like that would fit me well. But the headmaster of Hogwarts was a Gryffindor, and he's become a bit of a role model to me." Hermione smiled softly.

"Well whatever we get placed into, let's make sure to stay friends." I said with a smile.

Before Hermione could continue a boy opened the door to our compartment. He seemed a bit nervous and deshevilled but friendly nonetheless.

"Excuse me have you seen my toad anywhere?"