Chapter 3

Amara's pov:

The second I said my name, Claire froze. I was confused. What happened to her? We were just having a normal conversation and she just froze. Her eyes were wide and unblinking, looking at me...more like analysing my face. Is there chocolate pudding smeared over it or something? I touched my face and looked at my hand. Nope, no pudding.

"Claire...Claire...Claire! What happened? Are you okay?" I questioned her as I waved my hand in front of her face which caused her to snap out of whatever was going on through her mind. She seemed to be thinking something for a moment, then shook her head as if in denial. "Oh no, it's nothing...really...You told me we were meeting your friends, yeah? Let's go meet them," she reassured me, probably sensing that I didn't believe her and urged me forward. I sighed and walked ahead, leading her to our table.

"Guys, this is Claire King, the new student. And Claire, that's Serena and Theodore. You'll meet Jordan and Noah later," I introduced them to each other. Everyone said their hellos and Claire sat down next to me. "So Claire, where are you from?" Serena asked her. "I'm from here only," Claire told her.

"Do you have any hobbies?" I asked her. "Oh, I like to draw, paint...literally anything related to art," she enthusiastically replied. "You should join the Art Club then...I heard that they are looking for new members," I suggested. "Maybe I will..." our conversation just took off from there.

In the middle, I went to buy my food which I had forgotten about since I was distracted. As I was carrying my plate of steaming hot pasta, my phone rang and I dug my hand into my jean pocket to take it out. I answered it, "Amara, today your shift starts slightly earlier at 3.30pm since Macy had to leave early, dear. Will you be able to arrive at that time? I know you have school. You can leave sooner," my 55-year old boss, Mrs.Margaret asked me. I contemplated it in my head for a moment and answered, "Sure, I will be there!" I told her and hung up. Well, that means I can be home sooner. I returned back to my table to chat and eat.

At around 3p.m., we were dismissed from school. Serena already said her good-bye to me and went home since I was heading to my workplace, which was a cafe named 'Love's Cafe'. Claire and I were slowly walking out of school together. Claire's car by which her driver is picking her up was parked slightly away from the school and since the cafe was located in the same direction, we were walking together. Noah and Jordan met her near our lockers in school and instantly got along with her. Which I'm honestly happy about since I really liked hanging out with her.

As we were walking, Claire pointed to an expensive looking white car that was parked on the side of the road. Woah, she must be rich. Honestly the car looked cool. I have no idea what the brand is because I suck at understanding cars. "That's my ride. I'll see you tomorrow" she hugged me and left.

I was left by myself now. I just walked on the pathway, feeling the wind in my hair and lost in my thoughts. I honestly love the cafe as it gave a feeling of warmth and comfort. The cafe was initially run by Mrs.Margaret and her husband but unfortunately, her husband had passed away around 2 years ago. It's honestly sad because I know that she lives alone. The cafe is the only thing that keeps her going. Before I knew it, I reached the cafe. Well, let's get to work.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

By the time I finished work, I was really tired. I just wanted to take a shower and sleep. And eat of course, you can't expect anything less from me. As I carried my bag on shoulder and plugged in my earphones because I love listening to music, I was aimlessly walking back home. I unlocked my phone to change the song when someone bumped into me. Not again. I seriously think that I am prone to bumping to people.