Chapter 5

Amara's pov:

I immediately looked away, unable to take the attention. I want food. Food always makes me feel better, maybe a taco right now would be nice. As I was lost in thoughts for like 4 seconds I heard my name, "Oh Amara, could you come here for a second?" it was from the principal who was now also looking at me. The two businessmen's heads turned to the principal so fast that I thought their necks were going to break. They looked shocked. Weirdos. Whatever, even though the principal asked me a question everyone knows that it was basically considered as a polite order.

Nevertheless, I nodded and went towards them. As I got closer, I got a clearer view of the men's faces and one of them looked very familiar. Wait, hold on! Is that the rude stranger from earlier this week. Oh my god is he stalking me? What if he told the principal about my rude behaviour? I wasn't even that rude and I even apologised. What if I get expelled? What if I go to prison? Ok I'm just going to walk to them like a professional student. Deep breaths, deep breaths but not too deep that it is noticeable to them..I'm supposed to be unaffected.

Once I reach them, "Gentlemen this is our head of the event management. Amara, there are extra guests so you should make the necessary arrangements accordingly and you can take the details from the gentlemen. Excuse me for just a few minutes," with that he just left. I never really had any hate towards our principal because he is a pretty laid back guy but right now I can't help but curse him for leaving me alone with 2 strangers who by the way were still staring at me. It didn't seem like they had any bad intentions though. I pretended as if I had met Mr.Rude for the first time and he also seemed to be playing along with it. Or he just doesn't remember an insignificant girl that is me.

Before I could say anything, the one that was beside Mr.Rude stuck his hand out, "Hello there, I'm Xavier Knight and this is my brother Nathaniel Knight. What's your full name?" he asked while intensely staring at me. Uh okay, I'm going to pretend like that was not odd. I took his hand to shake it. I gripped it and gave it a firm, strong shake and replied, "Amara Rose". Since that was the name that the orphanage told me, I just assumed that Rose was my last name and I just went with it.

They both just stared at me like they couldn't believe what was happening before their eyes. The only thing happening is an awkward girl standing in front of them, ready to just dash out of this weird and awkward situation. "Well, um, nice to meet you gentlemen. So, could you tell me the names of those attending the celebration tomorrow, please?" I asked, hoping to clear the silence. They both seemed to snap out of it and Xavier Knight nodded his head. Finally.

I quickly flipped the papers on my clipboard to an empty piece of paper to note down the details. Once I was down writing, the pen slipped out of my hand probably due to the sweat on my hand that was starting to appear because of the nervousness of being in the presence of these sophisticated looking men. God how embarrassing. I mumbled an apology and quickly bent down to pick up my pen. I stood back up and pretended to check on the names given to me.

"That's a nice necklace. How long have you had it for?" Mr.Xavier Knight asked me all of a sudden. I looked down at my shirt to see that my necklace had slipped out of its tucked in position underneath my shirt. Probably slipped when I bent down. "Um, I've had it for as long as I can remember, sir" I replied immensely confused. Why was he asking me such irrelevant questions?

Like my saving grace, the principal walked back from whatever he was doing and dismissed me. And me? I ran out of the auditorium like a horse on fire...well mentally. I walked out like a professional, unaffected student. Whose heart was racing a mile an hour.

Xavier's pov:

Nathan and I reached the highschool which was decent enough. The principal showed us around upon our request. We didn't want to just walk up to him and demand a list of students whose first name was Amara. That would have just been suspicious. We were going to have a look around and there were a lot of students walking around. I hope we spot her.