18 ❋

(bruh i put nineteen on the last chapter sorry 😭🤚🏽)
..................................................................................

Hawks pov -

"Then you should tell her!" I felt my face flush slightly, "No way, how am I even suppose to know if she feels the same way?"

"By telling her," Haru said while handing me a stack of papers. I took them with a sigh, "I can't, not yet." He gave me a disappointed look and sighed, then walked away mumbling something under his breath.

It's been two weeks since May's death and Emiri isn't getting any better.

That night when she let it all out, she cried for hours on end. I hated seeing her like that, and on top of it she was getting constant nightmares, which meant I had to spend nights with her.

Not that I was complaining, but I wish it were under better circumstances.

Aizawa was coming over a lot, maybe too much... that's not the point though.

He also left Eri with her a lot so I didn't have to worry about her being alone for too long. She always put on a fake smile for her even if she wanted to cry.

There was no denying this had broken her.

And I hated that I couldn't do anything about it, that I couldn't stop her pain. Her suffering. She doesn't deserve it. Any of it.

I sighed, snapping myself out of my thoughts and began paperwork. Being a hero is great and all, but not when you have someone you care about that needs you.

And it isn't helping that my instincts are telling me to stay with her at every given moment...

꧁☘︎︎꧂

3rd pov -

Aizawa had come back after school to check up on Emiri and pick Eri up, so she was alone until Keigo was off from work.

There's nothing else to do, and being alone with her thoughts wasn't exactly the best way to spend her free time, so she decided to take a nap.

That was mistake number one.

Soon enough, her nightmares started, and she was trapped in her own mind. The memories she had made with May flooded her mind.

All the good, bad, sad, happy memories rushed in like a dam that had finally broken. The more she tried, the harder it was to wake up.

It felt like hours before she was finally able to wake up in a cold sweat, screaming at the top of her lungs from the horrors she had faced in her nightmares.

Her mind was running wild and she couldn't slow her staggered breathing. It wasn't until she heard the two felines meowing outside of her door that she snapped back to reality.

She thought back to what Keigo and Aizawa told her to do if she were to ever find herself having a panic attack.

'Breathe in and out, count to 10, and remember that we're only a call away.'

The meows grew slightly louder, but she didn't think anything of it and continued to calm herself down.

Mistake number two.

The meows eventually turned into hisses and screeches that were accompanied by the smell of smoke and footsteps in the living room.

She jumped up from her bed and swung the room door open, only to find blue fire slowly engulfing her apartment and a man with a patchwork-like face standing in the middle of it all.

Dabi.

He turned and met her eyes as he smiled creepily and walked out of the apartment.

Emiri watched in disbelief as her apartment slowly burned. She watched the framed pictures of May, Aizawa, and Keigo burn.

She watched her entire life go up in flames.

The two cats had made their way into her room and were curled up together in the corner.

Emiri was still in shock. Her emotions were, once again, being swirled inside of her like a forming tornado, waiting to be released.

But she couldn't think about that right now. She had to make sure to gather everything she could and get out of the burning apartment.

She quickly stuffed clothes and valuables into a big backpack, then swung it over her shoulder and grabbed a big cat carrier.

The two cats ran into the carrier and Emiri picked it up and made her way to the window, but she stopped in her tracks when she saw a framed picture on her nightstand.

It was a picture of May, Aizawa, and her huddled together. She smiled sadly then grabbed the picture and stuffed it into one of the backpack pockets.

She knew there was no chance of saving her apartment, even if she tried. So she jumped out of the window, flew up into the air, and watched with a heavy heart, as her apartment was devoured by the blue flames.

꧁☘︎︎꧂

A/N: Hey! I apologize for not updating this story sooner, but if you didn't read my announcement, I took a break from writing for my own health and reasons. I also want to apologize for making this chapter a bit shorter than what I usually do, but I felt it was necessary to give you guys a little something for being so patient. Thank you all so much for reading, and a special thank you to the people who have been voting for my story! I can't guarantee that I'll be back fully, but I will try my best to update this story as much as I can. On another note, this story hit 2k reads when I was gone. 2k. Wow. Just wow. Again, thank you so much for reading. Stay safe, and remember you are loved! Until next time! :)