Chapter 1

It was his night to run patrol. He normally tried to run it with the warriors but once a week he would run the patrol alone, the reason for this is he was the alpha. Tonight felt different. Something was about to happen but whether it was good or bad he didn't know. As he ran the boundary toward the south part of his territory he caught a strange scent. Thinking of the danger an intruder could cause he ran toward it.

A strong scent of blood and fear but was also a subtle hint of lavender and chocolate. His wolf was excited but it was also worried. What was going on with his wolf? He was confused but what he was really wondering was why could he smell blood? He followed the scent deeper into the woods that surrounded his territory.

Finally, he caught a glance of someone running. From what he could tell the person was human and their clothes were basically rags. He followed them, the pack did not like trespassers on their land because they did not want people, especially humans asking questions.

As he was catching up to the human the smell of lavender and chocolate got stronger but so did the smell of fresh blood. His wolves' excitement got the better of him and he got careless and stepped on a fallen branch. The snap of the branch spooked the human intruder. They ran faster, so he took off after them. Before he could catch them he saw them fall and stop moving. His wolf panicked. When he reached them he realized that the intruder was a girl. The scent of lavender and chocolate was as strong as it could get with the overwhelming blood smell. She was bleeding badly, especially from her head. His panic didn't stop because one word filled his mind, "Mate!" He shifted into his human form. He took the shirt he had wrapped around her head. He was shaking, what had happened to his mate?

He immediately picked her up and started back toward the packhouse and hospital. He called the pack doctor telling her to have a room ready, it was an emergency. Just glancing over her he noticed she was covered in scars, cuts, and bruises. Although the cuts looked like they could have been caused by running through branches and trees, the scars looked like someone took a knife and whip to her. His jaw clenched as his eyes focused on the scars and cuts.

The only reason he wasn't hitting something was he was holding onto the one thing that could calm him. She was skin and bones, there was not an ounce of fat on her. He would need to change that. He wouldn't let anything else happen to her again.

"Hold on," he whispered to her. "I'm not going to lose you."

He reached the hospital in recorded time. The doctor rushed him into the free room and then shooed him out so she could examine her without an angry alpha in the room.