Chapter 19

"Iwaizumi you have to move at some point" Matsun spoke, walking up behind Iwaizumi. He sat beside Oikawa's hospital bed, with his head in his hands. "You haven't showered, eaten or even moved from that spot since Monday, Iwaizumi it's been Days! You're destroying yourself, you're losing weight, and don't get me started on how much you reek.

" He walked quickly over to him, putting his hand on his shoulder and bending down next to him. "She's going to wake up soon, do you really want the first sight she sees to be her best friend, greasy and weak, with eye bags that can rival the teacher from that anime?"

With still no response he gently grabs Iwaizumi's hands and pulls them away from his friend's face. Iwaizumi's eyes are open but lack emotion, yet hold so many at the same time, tears streaming down his face as his eyes slowly drift to Matsun. "I told her she'd be fine. She came to me and told me how many people hated her, I brushed it off and said she'd be fine. Issei I said I could protect her." 

His words started becoming more desperate, trying to grasp some sort of salvation, any indication that this wasn't real, that he hadn't let his best friend down when she needed him most. Matsun slowly pulled him into a hug, holding him tight as silent tears began to run down his face. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry " Hajime began chanting, but he knew he wasn't talking to him, but the girl laying beaten and broken, unconscious.

It was a few hours before either completely stopped crying, ignoring the fact that they had hugged the entire time. There was a knock on the door before a girl walked in with book bags and food. "Hey," she stated silently. "You guys look like shit" she joked, feigning disgust, but the look in her eye betrayed her, only holding concern and sympathy, for she had cried within the arms of her boyfriend many times over the past few days. 

"Thanks Makki, I can feel the love" Both boys whispered something similar. She made her way over to her boyfriend setting his book bag beside the chair he sat in. She placed the food on the side of the bed before taking a seat in Matsuns lap, wrapping an arm around her waist he reached for the food with the other.

"Anything new happening at school?" he asked, taking a bite of his food before silently urging Iwaizumi to eat something. "Nothing really, I get bombarded with questions a lot, mostly about what it felt like to be a girl, but also a large number asking where those two were" motioning towards the others, grabbing the food and placing it in front of Iwaizumi. When he doesn't take it she sighs, getting up and slowly sitting in front of him on the floor.

 "Iwaizumi please eat. I can't watch you do this to yourself, and you sure as hell know Oikawa would hate it, what happened wasn't your fault, and it wasn't Oikawa's. The only person to blame are the assholes who did it. No one could have known for sure what was going to happen" he gently looked into her eyes. Tears welling up again. It took a few minutes before he started nodding, relief washing over the other two. Just as he was about to bring the food to his mouth they heard a low chuckle

"You gu-guys are..such..saps" she struggled to get out. A beat of silence followed, before Matsukawa was sprinting out the door to grab a doctor, Iwaizumi bolting up to get closer to her, and Makki running to find water. She coughed a little, trying to sit up. "H-hey hajime. W-What's crackalackin" she slowly sits up and scoots back, only breaking eye contact a few times. But, not once did Iwaizumi let words fall from his lips, he stared with so many emotions swarming, relief, joy, guilt, anger, but the most prominent one was Love. 

Doctors swarmed the room followed by nurses and Matsukawa, Makki following shortly after, holding a small translucent cup, filled halfway to the top. He's lightly grabbed by Matsun, being pulled out of the way. He stares as she's asked questions, but he doesn't hear any of it, not until the dreaded question is asked, the one everyone has been wondering, do you remember what happened?

A long pause, each second passing, a centimeter of her smile fading with it, until she's looking down at her shaking hands, frowning. "Yes" the doctor writes something down before continuing. "Can you tell us?" Iwaizumi frowns, wasn't it a little soon to be asking her to describe what happened? "3 boys from my school were mad and jealous, that's it" it was technically true, but no one missed how she avoided saying it, almost like she wasn't ready to admit that, maybe, just maybe, something that terrible could have happened. "So when do I get to get out of here?" she questions, quickly changing the subject.

"Well you've been unconscious for three days, so we'd like to keep you until the end of the week, you're also pretty high on pain medication right now, so when we take you off of it, we're gonna wanna make sure you're still ok." everyone nods, taking in the information."We'll leave you be for now, but we'll be back later to check on things and give you supper." The Doctor walks out the door with the nurses, leaving the four 3rd years to sit in a somewhat comfortable silence, but with the questions still in the air, tension seems high. 

"So what did I miss?" she perks, trying to keep the mood upbeat. Makki is the first to snap out of it. "Oh girl you have no idea, I keep getting bombarded at school, I missed you so much." the girls quickly fall into a rhythm of gossip, while the boys take their seats in the chairs. Makki is in mid sentence when Matsun grabs her and places her on his lap, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Oikawa raises a brow, a sly grin creeping up on her lips. "So, you guys are finally official huh?" She teases, in the midst of laughter and flushed faces her eyes dart to Iwaizumi, but she can't help the frown that takes place, when she sees his appearance. "Hajime" she calls, his head whipping up to meet her. She slides over and pats the spot beside her. He gets up and sits beside her. She shoots the other two a look, silently asking for some privacy. When they're finally alone, she slides her hand into his.

"I don't like seeing you like this Hajime. You know what happened wasn't your fault, I don't blame you and you shouldn't either" he leans back against the wall, her head lowers to his shoulder. "I- I can't help but feel like it's my fault. You had come to me and expressed your concerns, but instead of acting upon them I made a promise I couldn't keep." a tear slowly rolls down his cheek, landing on her long brown hair, which was pulled into a loose side ponytail. He feels small drops of water hitting his arm. 

He knew talking about this would be hard. He releases her hold of his hand, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, bringing his left hand for her to grab, she holds like a lifeline. When the sobs start, he buries his nose in her hair, holding her tighter, placing a soft kiss on her head. silently sobbing, he hopes one day she could go the day, and never stop smiling, he'd love to see her like that.