Partners in crime

Three weeks passed since the new batch of students joined the school. Lan QiRen sat at his desk trying to calm himself. He never felt so exhausted. He knew that with Wei Wuxian in this batch, life at Cloud Recesses would no longer be smooth. What he did not anticipate, was the impact of Wei Wuxian on his nephew Lan Wangji, his favourite disciple, a model student, known to be inflexible and restrained.

For the first time, Lan Wangji was reported to have broken rules. Although the boy accepted all the punishment inflicted on him without a word, Lan QiRen know that the cause of his mischievous behaviour was Wei Wuxian.

Lan Xichen knocked and waited at the door. Lan QiRen waved, asking him to come in. He bowed and sat.

"Xichen, I called you to talk about Wangji! I have no complaints about studies. But his behaviour is unacceptable!"

"Uncle, for the first time, he is with boys and girls of his age! Would you deny him these few months of fun? Even when he breaks a rule, he confesses and accepts his punishment. Besides he has done nothing more than playing some silly pranks and sneaking out with his friends to party, hunt and fish ...!"

"Xichen, I am worried for Wangji... Wei Wuxian ..."

"That is Fate, Uncle!"

This is why I am worried Xichen, Lan Qiren thought.

"Uncle, we have reports from Caiyi Town about water ghouls wrecking boats and dragging people in the waters. I will take a team and look into it tomorrow. It could be related to all the strange events happening."

"Very likely! Take Wangji with you!"

Xichen sighed. "Uncle, in that case, I might as well take the whole Gusu Gang with me!" 

Although Wangji was not still not very talkative, he was no longer a solitary boy. He had his own group of friends – Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng, Nie Huiasang, Wen Qing and Wen Ning. They would always sneak out together and, when caught, they were always punished together! They were known as the Gusu Gang at school and in town.

"Xichen! Are they back yet?"

It was Saturday, and nearly midnight! Lan Xichen knew that most of the students were out in town. In fact, there was a music festival tonight, and he, himself would be joining them, with some of his friends.

"Uncle, it's Saturday night and it's the music festival night!"

"Hmm" Lan Qiren shook his head. "Look after them, will you? Especially my precious Wangji! I am going meet Qingheng Jun now."

"Hmm" Lan Xichen bowed and left.

...

QingHeng Jun was sitting in meditation posture but somehow could not still himself. QingHeng Jun was the former leader of the GusuLan Sect and the father of Lan Xichen and Lan Zhan. He isolated himself in secluded meditation at his residence a very long time ago, since he married Madame Lan against the Clan's wishes, and transferred all his responsibilities to his brother Lan QiRen, including the education of his two sons.

Although he almost never left his residence, he knew all the affairs of the Sect and of Gusu. And lately, the hottest topic was his son Lan Wangji, known to be private, reserved, cold and strict. For the first time, his beloved son had friends and was having fun, even if it meant breaking rules and being punished! Whenever there was trouble or someone was pranked, it was found that Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were not far. It was whispered in hushed tones in class that they were partners in crime.

He heard a soft knock on his door. He raised and opened the door, "QiRen!"

"Elder brother!"

"What brings you here tonight?" The two brothers sat quietly.