Chapter 6

I couldn't tell you what time Claire left last night, but this morning when we met up to walk to school I was amazed by how she didnt even seem a bit tired.

I groaned a bit when she jumped onto my back.

"You're all over the news." She whispered in my ear.

"What?" I tried to turn to get a better look at her.

"Did you guys hear about that new hero?" Claire asked the boys.

"Yeah." Owen stated excitedly. "I wish I had gotten the chance to see what they looked like."

"Did you see on the hero report network they are trying to find her to recruit her?" Ethan added. "They are also offering a reward to anyone that can provide information about her and her powers."

"After yesterday dont you think they'd already know who she is?"

"All photos that were collected were too blurry or had too much smoke to identify her." Owen sighed.

"Can you get off my back now?" I asked Claire.

"Yes. Do you guys want to race to the gate?" She asked excitedly as she hopped down.

She pushed her way infront of us and started to walk backwards.

I glanced at the ground and managed to catch Claire as she lost her balance on a random rock.

When she started to fall I grabbed a hold of her wrist and pulled her close to me.

For a split second I saw her wince and I quickly let go of her wrist.

"Thanks for the save." She wore a smile but she spoke through her teeth.

"Are you ok?" I'm sure concern covered any tone I tried to speak with.

"El shes fine you caught her before she could get hurt." Ethan stated as he punched me in the shoulder.

"Hey El do you mind helping me get something from my locker?" Owen asked while he nervously rubbed his arm.

"I'm sorry but she already promised to help me carry something from my culinary class." Claire grabbed the sleeve of my jacket before she began to drag me away from the two confused boys.

"Why do I feel like we aren't actually going to grab food?"

She let out a soft hearted chuckle before letting me go.

"We can after we are done if you want."

I noticed her holding her wrist as she walked and I noticed that it was a little red.

I was too busy trying to get a better look at her wrist that I almost didnt realize she had brought us to the building for the students in advanced classes.

"My wrist is fine." She stated as if she had read my mind. "We need to see about the control bracelet getting adjusted. It might not be celebrated right."

With her non injured hand she opened the door for me.

"I'll show you to Doctor Zander's, but I'll have to leave you there."

She began to lead me through the hall until we got to a janitorial closet.

She opened the door and stepped inside. She motioned for me to follow her but I was confused.

I looked around the hall and didnt see anyone around.

"Just get in here." She ordered as she grabbed my sleeve again and pulled me into the small room.

"Ok we are in a cramped closet now what?" I asked as she forced me to stand behind her.

"Authorization required." A monotone voice echoed through the room.

"Recruit Lightspeed."

She looked at me with a big grin as the room began to shake.

Before I could even react to the sudden feeling of falling a door opened leading to a pure white hallway.

"We dont have to worry about anyone seeing your face right now since everyone should be in their classes."

She began to lead me through the maze of hallways that looked exactly alike. Every wall was painted white and the doors were light grey with a small metal placard with a room number on them.

"Right in this room." She said as she opened a door labeled 726.

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in class." A man in a lab coat groaned as he laid his eyes on Claire. "Why did you bring her here?" He questioned once he laid eyes on me.

"Her PCR needs to be recalibrated." She showed him her wrist and he groaned.

"Go to medbay and they will take a closer look at you. Girl come over here." He motioned for me to sit down on a metal stool.

Claire enthusiastically waved good bye and used her super speed to leave before I could ask her not to leave me with the mystery man.

"What are your abilities?" He asked while sitting at a computer.

"Umm." I took a quickly glance around the room. "Fire."

"What about fire?" He turned to face me. "Is it fire manipulation, generation, or even fire proof?"

I just stared at him unsure of how to respond.

"You dont know." He sighed and walked over to me with a couple wires leading to his computer. "Let me see your PCR."

I just stared at him.

"Your power control regulator." He sighed again. "The metal bracelet they gave you."

"Oh. Sorry." I quickly held my arm up for him.

He attached two wires to it. Then he went back to his computer and began to go over whatever data was being fed to the machine.

"You are undecided if you want to keep your powers." He suddenly stated. "So it is unclear about the full extent of your powers but generating fire is confirmed."

I sat quietly while he continued to quietly read over what appeared to be some encoded file.

"Well in order for me to be able to properly calibrate your PCR I need to run some tests. The only issue is I cant legally run any tests until you give an answer."